Notices

Rewards for quitting

Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rewards for quitting

I know I'm posting my ass off on here tonight, but when you guys were seeking long term sobriety, what did you do as a reward?

I am thinking I am going to buy a new Mustang GT for my one year sobriety.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I didn't do anything yet (my one year is Monday) but my partner got me jewelry! I wasn't expecting it at all!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary by going out to dinner (our first trip to a restaurant since we quit drinking).
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Honestly being sober is really better than anything I could buy anyway, at least compared to the state I was in before in quit. I am going to get a new guitar on my one year anniversary, even though I didn't plan it out exactly that way.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took a long, long trip and explored a few foreign countries and cultures in great detail.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to go for a spa day which was lovely sober(probably more a female thing )
Do whatever you have to do to stay sober though-car sounds a great idea.

I know it sounds corny but as you get more sober time just being sober is its own reward. Feeling peaceful,contented and not ill all the time is great
Old 12-15-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I read the thread title and at first glance I thought it said the rewards for quilting and I was jumping it to mention that I crochet..lol

Anyway, I don't seek long term sobriety, I take it one day at a time. There are times I look ahead and think, wow a couple more days until I get another month down but in the great scheme of things, I don't look ahead to far.

I also do not reward myself or should I say I don't think "when I am X amount of days/weeks/months/years sober I am going to get this or do that". I find the rewards I get are ongoing. They are also something that in the past I would have completely ignored as a reward.

On Friday I took my daughter shopping for Christmas at four in the afternoon. I would have NEVER been able to do that before. I would have needed to rush home after work to drink. If it had been a weekend day, I would have already been completely plowed by four in the afternoon.

So today, I was so thrilled with the fact that not only was I able to do that but I treasured the time we spent together. I was in no rush and the crowds did not bother me in the least. I was calm, peaceful and happy the entire time.

I feel that was a wonderful reward for my sobriety. I had put in the work and I got something in return that, although not tangible, is something I will carry with me forever.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't "reward" myself at all, I guess. Being sober is its own reward.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

With the money i'm saving from not drinking i've been treating myself to games for my xbox, gives me something to do too. Next year tho i'm going to start saving for some bigger things as my sober time gets longer, travelling, driving lessons etc.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

day 4.
made it. I laughed like I have not laughed since `12 when I made 41 days. Wow i had forgotten that laughing makes a body feel good. I will be content with the rewards Mother Nature built into my brain and body. Feelings I only feel when I am not using.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have a lot more to spend on skin products and stuff, to try and renew the damage from years ago. For example, falling asleep in the garden without sunblock. I was like a shrivelled prune
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think if a new Mustang GT keeps you sober, then that is a great reward (I've always wanted a new Camero). Whatever it takes to keep you pluggin along to make it to the next day sober. What I'm starting to realize is being sober is a reward in itself but it took some time of "white knuckling" to get here. I do know that you'll save a ton of money not drinking so being able to afford it should be easy. Good luck and keep going!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Can you decide for me ps4 or Xbox one lol ?

But that's what I am getting myself, oh and also just bought myself a couple of Sonos speakers and air play spotify through it, superb

Living Like a king on a few ££ !

Health is wealth !
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What I'm doing to mark a year (a long way off, for sure), is not really a reward, and not for everyone, that's for sure. Over the years, I've accumulated quite a few tattoos, never really putting any thought into them, just doing it. I know the tattoo artist and I actually offered up my skin for him to practice on when he was just beginning;therefore, I get a very good deal on ink. When I reach one year, I'm going to get one more tattoo, my last one. It's not going to be anything crazy, just a simple little image that to me represents the struggles I've had I've had with alcohol and how I will forever be working to maintain my vicory of that f!@#er.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Eating real food again, and falling asleep on the sofa is enough of a reward for me! But some cool gear (clothes) I'll spring for on some of the money I've saved, being about $20 a day really adds up to some nice duds!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll be celebrating my 100 days with a trip to the Caribbean. However, due to time issues etc. the trip will be before 100 days... probably at the 80 day mark. All the more reason to stay sober on the trip I guess.

Hope you'll take us all for a ride in your Mustang! Great reward idea!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it's a brilliant idea! Whatever makes you happy and stay sober is all that counts!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Can you decide for me ps4 or Xbox one lol ?
PS4, Xbone has lost all credibility in recent months. It may have backtracked on a few things but the fact it even considered some of the things that caused the backlash shows me I dont want to support the system. Love my 360, but next-gen will be returning to Sony! Viva La Resistance!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Because of my crazy twisted mind...I had to not do the reward thing because that was part of my addiction...rewarding myself for enduring life.

So...yup, sobriety had to become it's own reward...as in making life more than something to be endured. for me it had to become a case of me being willing to live life for life's sake, not hoping for a reward in the end (or at various points along the way)

I am not a goal oriented person. I live in the moment. That may be a flaw or a blessing, I don't know, but I know many things that work for others in their recovery journey messed with me and don't mesh with my brain operation.