Notices

The Big Book and Me

Old 12-14-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Book and Me

Listening to the Big Book via Audio. On chapter 5, How It Works. Some of it resonates with me and some not so much. I'm hearing it out though. It seems like most of the stories are based on the dire alcoholic. I'm a social alcoholic or episode drinker I'm told. Do I even belong in here?? I'm confused... I'm I overreacting?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one can tell you if you belong here or not.

Is drinking causing problems in your life? Can you stop and not be bothered? We are here to offer support if you want to stop drinking.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

By here do you mean SR?

I'm not in AA, but if drinking is causing any sort of a problem in your life, I think SR is a great place to be

There's a multitude of approaches being used here

D
Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not an everyday drinker but when I drink it is in excess and I feel I don't know when to draw the line until it is too late. It caused problems more often than not when I drink. I have had lost jobs, DUI, loss of physical control (falls), lots of hangovers, loss of productivity, neglect of relationships because of hangovers, remorse, regret and depression from stupid decisions made while drinking. So yes, I guess we could say it causes me problems. I was referring to AA. It seems that there is such controversy over AA and RR that I wanted to give both sides equal opportunity to see what fits me best. I intend to finish up the Big Book and do more research on RR and other methods.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah, I'm not a member of either, although I have friends in both
Some do one, some do the other, some do a mix.

read them both and you'll be in the best place to make an informed decision, I think

D
Old 12-14-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
yeah, I'm not a member of either

D
What method do you use?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just 'used' SR.

I think I was perversely lucky in that I nearly died so I was heavily committed to and invested in change.
the community here has become very important to me

I don't hesitate to recommend other methods as well tho - a lot of people find they need more than this site, and various recovery groups saved a lot of my friends lives here

D
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use AA or RR either, but I do find that SR has been a great place for support. I hope you keep posting.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same as Dee and Anna, try things until you find the hat that fits.

Look up on google AVRT. You can do the free crash demo course, takes only 10-15 minutes.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Thepatman, I did the crash course last week. Good stuff. Just hope it is realistic.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sunshine, I went through this process two months ago and while I had some issues with AA it was not the program but some of he people. I have stayed and glad I have. It works for me and honestly, I have realized I was much worse than I thought. My mind played some serious games on me.

RR seems quite interesting and I read the three books I bought. Problem for me is I like the face 2 face and given my travel schedule AA is just more convenient. I think both seem fairly solid. My first time reading the BB I thought the same exact and I mean exact thing. Who are all these drunks I can't relate to. Now I read it and see a lot of myself. There are some things I don't relate to, like the relapsing and I hope I don't ever. At the end there of he forth version there are 40 shares and many high bottom quits. Give that a read you may relate more.

Good luck...SR is a great forum, lots of opinions, some good, some bad. At the end of e day this is your life and your recovery...you are the only one that needs to live with it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
I'm not an everyday drinker but when I drink it is in excess and I feel I don't know when to draw the line until it is too late. It caused problems more often than not when I drink. I have had lost jobs, DUI, loss of physical control (falls), lots of hangovers, loss of productivity, neglect of relationships because of hangovers, remorse, regret and depression from stupid decisions made while drinking. So yes, I guess we could say it causes me problems. I was referring to AA. It seems that there is such controversy over AA and RR that I wanted to give both sides equal opportunity to see what fits me best. I intend to finish up the Big Book and do more research on RR and other methods.
You sound a lot like me- I was not an every day drinker. Its not simply about how much you drink but HOW you drink and how that drink affects you. I doubt anyone here would say "Well, you arent drinking a bottle of vodka every day so you dont have a problem" nor (from what I've seen) would many automatically say "Yes, you have a problem".

You need to ask yourself if alcohol is having a negative impact on your life and from what you've said, it has. Would life be better without alcohol? Do *you* think it is a problem? By simply asking the question many would say its a clear yes, but it is still for you to decide.

I've found a lot of kind words and support here, maybe stick around and read a few things, it might help you.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful

I would recommend reading some of the stories in part II of the personal stories called "They Stopped in Time". These are stories about people who didn't reach as low of a bottom as the first pioneers of Alcoholics Anonymous. If you were to go to a meeting you would probably find a lot of people in your situation, not just low bottom alcoholics.

*The personal stories start after the first 164 pages in the BB.