SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Is there a forum.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/316294-there-forum.html)

Lifeisforliving 12-14-2013 09:26 AM

Is there a forum....

...where you can go to ask if others are experiencing "interesting" physical changes within your body after you quit drinking?

DG0409 12-14-2013 09:30 AM

In general, the Newcomer's forum is probably ok for that.

But if you have concerns that are gender-specific, there is also a forum for men only and one for women only.

Notmyrealname 12-14-2013 10:00 AM

"interesting" ?

Now you have piqued my curiosity. Do tell :)

Lifeisforliving 12-14-2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname (Post 4346832)
"interesting" ?

Now you have piqued my curiosity. Do tell :)

Okie dokie, here goes.

Whereas while I was drinking it was very easy to go to the bathroom. Since I've stopped it seems next to impossible some days. I'm eating fruits & veggies and drinking a ton of water but the problem still exists.

Anyone else experience this? Any tips as to how to alleviate this issue?

least 12-14-2013 11:25 AM

I'd suggest seeing your doctor. S/he can run tests and give you a check up to determine what's going on.

Thepatman 12-14-2013 11:27 AM

Same here. I was so used to have the runs now it's well, you know. LOL!

hypochondriac 12-14-2013 12:57 PM

I had the same. It felt like months before I went to the bathroom! And I was eating a ton. I took aloe vera and senna which helped some. To be honest it may be part of your body healing itself. Try not to worry too much x

anchorbird 12-14-2013 01:19 PM

Prune or apple juice works well. Im in the same boat as you are. Lots if fiber is a necessity!!!!

courage2 12-14-2013 01:40 PM

Yup, I think your experience is normal -- after almost a year, I still don't seem to be 100% regular, but my digestion's always been iffy. Then again, I always drank. Poor digestive system, never had a chance. ;)

mdw 12-14-2013 01:55 PM

It's actually a common symptom. I'm pretty into nutrition (kind of shocking eh!). How much water are you drinking? Increasing fibre intake will help - ground flax seed is good for this and will also give you omega-3's. Try and stay away from cheese!

Here's a link you might find interesting:
5 Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Drinking | Cracked.com

Lifeisforliving 12-14-2013 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone. More than anything I just wanted to know if this was common. Whew - it is. And just like so many of the other "joys" that cone along w/quitting, I'm relieved to know that this too shall pass - pun intended.

Special thanks to MDW for the link. I've been experiencing #2 (the urge to murder) all day today. Completely out of the blue everyone in my life is driving me crazy today. They aren't doing anything in particular - just existing. I'm past the detox phase and haven't experienced this feeling until today. Interesting.

sharon801 12-14-2013 03:20 PM

mdw i have read this before i think its written really well and even made me smile

mdw 12-14-2013 03:37 PM

I find it helps to know what is potentially coming..or not lol. I get snappy with people too Lifeisforliving totally randomly.

I do a lot of reading on how alcohol affects you. Nutrition is a huge part of my personal recovery. Understanding how malnourished one can become w/o realizing it - aside from the common potential liver problems etc. is pretty scary.