Notices

Cravings ???

Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings ???

It's been 13 days since my relapse after 9.5 mths sober drank for 1 night ended up In hospital had endone then 2 scripts of it only need 1 script really but took the other one anyway been off endone for 3 days felt fine but yesterday woke up craving alcohol and had a day sleep just woke up craving drugs not sure what's going on I'm doing meetings reaching out everyday basically doing things I didn't do before relapse need so me guidance please.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about anyone else but I had cravings for a long time after I quit.
I drank for 20 years - it took a few months for me to change.

To me the quality of our recovery is about how we deal with those cravings.

have you seen this link liss?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How was it during your 9 months? Did you struggle like now? Something must have changed in your life?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno about anyone else but I had cravings for a long time after I quit. I drank for 20 years - it took a few months for me to change. To me the quality of our recovery is about how we deal with those cravings. have you seen this link liss? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
no but I will check it out thanxxxx
Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
How was it during your 9 months? Did you struggle like now? Something must have changed in your life?
hard at the start but got better I have a lot going on at home ?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had cravings daily for the first month or so. They subsided somewhat in month two and are now a very rare occurrence. I'm still on watch for them and, when I do get them, I have developed techniques that work for me to shut them down. Dee's link has a great deal of advice on handling cravings and I continue to use many of them as needed.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you can improve what is going on at home, then you should be able to get back on track more easily. Is it something you can change at home?

If the answer is that you cannot change the situation, then priority is to find a way to accept it. Hope this helps, I'm not making sense maybe
Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm only a little over 3 weeks sober, so I'm not sure if I can help in terms of a voice of experience. I can share a little metaphor that's been helping me handle the cravings. Um. . .but the full impact of this metaphor could depend on where you live or have lived. I live in California, so here goes. Cravings are like earthquakes. You never know when they are going to hit, how bad they will be, or how long they will last. Sometimes there is just a little wiggle and nothing, gone. Sometimes, bam, big frighening jolt, then it takes a while for the fear to subside. Sometimes they roll along for a while. And every so often you get hit with a big one that really messes with you. But they ALL eventually go away-that is a universal truth to them-the cravings and the earthquakes. Yeah, they'll be back, but we can ride them out. And we all develop little strategies to help, the quakes and the cravings. I don't know if that helps. I just thought I'd share it. I hope you feel better soon-you will.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
I'm only a little over 3 weeks sober, so I'm not sure if I can help in terms of a voice of experience. I can share a little metaphor that's been helping me handle the cravings. Um. . .but the full impact of this metaphor could depend on where you live or have lived. I live in California, so here goes. Cravings are like earthquakes. You never know when they are going to hit, how bad they will be, or how long they will last. Sometimes there is just a little wiggle and nothing, gone. Sometimes, bam, big frighening jolt, then it takes a while for the fear to subside. Sometimes they roll along for a while. And every so often you get hit with a big one that really messes with you. But they ALL eventually go away-that is a universal truth to them-the cravings and the earthquakes. Yeah, they'll be back, but we can ride them out. And we all develop little strategies to help, the quakes and the cravings. I don't know if that helps. I just thought I'd share it. I hope you feel better soon-you will.
helps a lot thank you x
Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Haven't had cravings for booze or crack in a long, long, time, quit cigarettes 1 years 6 months ago and still have cravings for them. Haven't beat the sugar and sweets yet but I will. All the junk goes away with time and I just suffer through what ever comes along, it's all ya can do. Rootin for ya.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Haven't had cravings for booze or crack in a long, long, time, quit cigarettes 1 years 6 months ago and still have cravings for them. Haven't beat the sugar and sweets yet but I will. All the junk goes away with time and I just suffer through what ever comes along, it's all ya can do. Rootin for ya.
thanx feelin better