Notices

Everyone who drinks is not an alcohlic

Old 12-13-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everyone who drinks is not an alcohlic

Why does aa think that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.i know a lot of individuals who enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner,they can take it or leave it.i don't see them as drunks. I read that only about 2% are successful with aa and continually fall off the wagen. I have a friend who attends aa meetings everyday and i'm supportive of her but there is know way that i could do that.i have too many things i injoy doing in life.i get the idea that if you join aa you can never quit and if you were to have a relationship with someone she should be another aa person.they say the odds are better in your faver to work out.aa is good propaganda.but if you don't believe the propaganda they say it won't work.don't take my next statement the wrong way. Goebbels was great at propaganda one of the best ever,but evil propaganda,however,he was able to influence intellectuals, white coller blue coller almost every class in society. Why,he was excellent at propaganda until the end of the war when it was obvious he was full of ****,but it was to late for the german nation.the point i'm trying to make is aa isn't for everyone but aa will not admit that.aa gives the impression that no one can give up drinking if they choose to with out aa.please give me feed back on my comments and not the classic aa im in denial.i can't be because i a non drinker. Thanks
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you will find many people here at SR who have used all different methods to get sober. I have not used AA, but I have found Alanon helpful. I prefer to focus on the positives of all the methods and I pray everyone finds the one that is right for them, and for many AA has been their lifesaver. Thank God for that! I wish you the best in your journey.
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you are braced in your chair for a hole bunch of replies! LOL!

Joke aside I am not an AA member but I respect the approach because I have a hole bunch of friends here on SR that would probably be dead without AA. It worked for them, some have years of sobriety. So you can't say AA does not work.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blano

We actually don't encourage that kind of debate in this forum

NEW! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
what we will do is try and give help and support to anyone who feels their drinking is a problem.

If you fall into that category you're more than welcome here

Many of our members are also AA members, but many are not, too. We have a wide variety of addiction recovery practices here .

D
Old 12-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have a feeling this won't be here long.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmmmmmmmm. Then what is the purpose of your post? I've never heard AA is the only way to stop drinking. Whatever works, well the that's what you should do. AA doesn't say that everyone who drinks is alcoholic. AA is for alcoholics. Where in the world did you get this info from?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone says everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. We all have friends who might have a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail on Friday night. Who are these people who call them alcoholics?

I have a feeling that your real question is why does everyone call you an alcoholic. If these "accusations" were thrown at other people, you would never post about it. And if you felt certain that you were not an alcoholic, you would not be asking people here for support against the accusation.

No one here or in the face-to-face world can say whether or not you are an alcoholic. Or rather they can say it, but what they say does not matter. Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic.

Why not write about what prompted your original post? The responses you get might surprise you.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Everyone who drinks is not an alcoholic
You're quite right. In fact, MOST people who drink are not alcoholic. So, what's your point?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

indeed. I don't do AA, but encourage those who find it helpful to do so.

labels? Not for me. I know what my problem is, and I use any resource that helps me combat the problem. Anyone who stands beside me in my fight that helps me, and supports me in who I am and how I think is welcome in my world. I don't hate on anyone else and what works for them.

But just because what works for one doesn't work for another doesn't make it wrong.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My understanding AA lets the individual make that decision also if you put alcohol In your system and you crave more that's a problem I believe AA never turns anyone away my experience is nothing but love and support bit like here I'm very greatful member of AA and SR thank god there is somewhere to turn x
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The parallel between Goebbels and AA? Whoa. There's a heavy dose of anger behind that. I agree that something must be behind your post. Perhaps we, a diverse and open minded group, can help. It dosn't have to come from an AA perspective/philosopy, even. What's up?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am just dying to know if Blano wants help to quit his addiction or if he just wants to randomly rant about things. I hope Blano wants help, this place is great for venting and letting loose of emotions and to get support in not being a drunk.

Comparing AA to Goebbels is just.... wow lol
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I'd like to know what the purpose of your post is and why you choose to join SR to ask the question? You're a non-drinker so the only thing I can think of is that you are looking for ammunition to throw at the friend when she gives her reasons for not wanting a relationship? If not that, then what is the purpose of your post?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

As the OP has left, I think we'll wrap this one up.

thanks guys

D