Notices

Daydreaming of future drinking

Old 12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Daydreaming of future drinking

So I'm 13 days in to soberism. I've been gung ho about my choice to never drink again. FYI.. Big fan of RR and AVRT. That being said, I know this is my AV talking. I have a Keith Urban concert to go to in Nashville in Feb. My bestie is meeting me there and we 'were' planning to hang out in Honkey Tonk Row... which is bar bar bar bar.... I think of how much fun we could have getting trashed and raising cain. I'm thinking not such a good idea now. How do I tell her? Is it safe to put myself in that environment and still not drink?

Also, planning a trip to San Diego where it was supposed to be a big time party thing. Bars in L.A., Hollywood, Vegas.... Now everything has changed in my life with my choice to never drink again. I'm really getting bummed thinking of all the fun I'm going to miss out on... I need at attitude adjustment...

I'm starting to get depressed thinking of life after drinking. Then I think of my worse hangover which was recently and all the fun I had just wasn't worth the next day...
Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sunshine

I'm not overly familiar with AVRT but I don't really see how you can make a Big Plan with any 'buts' in it?

from my own non AVRT experience, I stayed away from all kinds of alcohol centric events until I knew I was strong enough, and committed enough, to withstand any one or any situation.

D
Old 12-13-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The fun will be in going to the concert and hanging out with your friend, then waking up fresh each morning NOT in going out getting smashed!!

An adjustment in what you consider fun is needed!!

From personal experience, since becoming sober I have attended a few Ice Hockey games, they have been sober nights and I can honestly say I have enjoyed them, I can actually remember everything about the games, rather than downing pints like water and forgetting the end result waking up the next day with a hangover!!

Change the perspective on what is fun and you can still have as much fun as the life can offer!!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right about the attitude adjustment or shifting your perspective in a positive way.

You can have fun without alcohol involved, but you have to figure out new ways to do that.

As Dee said, I could not be around alcohol for many months when I stopped drinking. It just didn't work for me.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

we will probably end up with a haircut ??

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post

'were' planning to hang out in Honkey Tonk Row... which is bar bar bar bar....

Is it safe to put myself in that environment and still not drink?

Also, planning a trip to San Diego where it was supposed to be a big time party thing.

I live a few miles from San Diego (can be known for partying)
for me while I was in early sobriety and even today
I get no trill whatsoever hanging out in bar after bar

let's look at it this way
if we hang out in a barber shop for long
we will probably end up with a haircut

MB
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love the barber shop theory!! Makes sense. I think my friend will support me. I want to explore the countryside of Nashville and take in the sights and the food!! I'm so done with the party. It is all I have known in how to have fun... But it isn't fun anymore. Hasn't been for many years.