Notices

I survived my first holiday drunkfest!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I survived my first holiday drunkfest!

Last night was a triumph of sorts for me. The majority of my classmates went to party at a bar to celebrate the end of the semester. They talked about how drunk they were going to get for weeks beforehand. Needless to say I was very worried about it ruining my sobriety. I wanted to go, and felt a bit left out but I didn’t feel strong enough in my sobriety at this point to attend. I too am happy and relieved that exams are over but I didn’t want to face all of that temptation and a huge amount of peer pressure as well.

So instead of drinking my face off to fit in and losing my grip on sobriety, I celebrated by going out to a really nice lunch, having a piece of cheese cake, buying a warm fuzzy robe, drinking fancy organic soda, and spending time with the people who care about me the most.

The reasons that I chose to become sober are far more important to me than any one night of fun ever could be. That thought didn’t really make it easier but it did make it possible. I woke up this morning feeling so proud of myself for putting courage behind my convictions. The party is over and I will continue on my sober path just like I wanted. I made a plan that was healthy for me and I stuck to it. At the end of the day the person’s whose opinion of me matters the most is my own.

Anyways, I just wanted to post this for anyone who is worried about some party or event being too much for them to handle right now. It is okay to put yourself first, you won’t regret it.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made a great choice to take care of yourself.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great to hear. x
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are awesome!!! Great post. You made the right choice. I love that you treated yourself to a nice shopping/eating reward. You deserve it. I do the same thing. It sounds selfish to me sometimes, but I tell myself I would have spent more than that on booze. I'm not feeling bad about my new warm boots and jeans and when I want that latte, I'm getting it!!! Stay strong....have a great weekend!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should be proud of yourself. Job well done. You're a miracle in the making : )
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dented But Reliable

Smile

A difficult choice to make sometimes. But every time I make it, the next time becomes a lot easier.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great to hear,Flying. Good decisions. Enjoy the reward--sobriety.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Woo hoo hoo!! I love what you did to treat yourself!! Also loving the perspective that your reasons for sobriety FAR outweigh a night of sloppy drunkeness followed by a hellish hangover.

Great work!! Thanks so much for this post!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I started to read your post I thought you were going to say you went because you didn't want to miss out but didn't drink.

I'm so pleased you decided not to go. It really was the best decision,putting you and your sobriety first. it can be hard,especially at this time of year.

You should be proud of yourself