Notices

Day 19 and feeling stronger

Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19 and feeling stronger

Hello everyone.

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone on this site. I do not believe I would be this strong now if it weren't for the stories and support I read here on a daily basis. I do not feel alone in this struggle thanks to all of you.

I'm on day 19 and I feel stronger now. I know I have a long way to go, but I just cannot go back there. I want to share a quick story. I am a female and my best friend is a gay male. He rarely drinks, maybe a glass of wine here and there. He is the first person I confided in when I realized I had to stop this for once and for all and he has been a huge help to me. Always there to listen and never judging me. Last night he called me and he was a bit upset. He had gotten a phone call from an old friend. The friend told him he had cirrhosis of the liver and was on the wait list of a liver transplant. He was near tears when he uttered the words to me "you can never drink again". And he said "if I got that news about you , I would be crushed. You are my best friend in the world". We both shared a moment of tears and it hit me like a ton of bricks. NO I cannot let that happen. I have to be healthy for my friends and family. I will remember how awful my body felt 19 days ago when I could hardly get off the couch and my insides were in such pain.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I have to view this now of not just embarrassment and stupid behavior I have created for myself, but my life is literally at stake. I will do this. My life depends on it.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey girlsearching, that was an amazing post

Yeah it's definitly not all about personal benefits like health/money etc, but the others around us who can be hurt as a result or even worse have to mourn the lose of a friend/family member.

Great job on 19 Days!!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. The thing I find interesting is that we often use our drug of choice above other normal behaviors. But once we hit "bottom" our primary survival takes a hard look inward and really (almost) forces us to become sober.

From my drug addiction, I got an enlarged liver of 23cm and had to rest for several months. That was when I realized my addiction may kill me if I dont do anything about it.

Awesome job on going on 19 days! Keep it up!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 19 days and thanks for that post
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for sharing your insight.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 19 girlsearching! Thank you for sharing, keep up the great work.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the great post, girlsearching. It was really heart-warming. Best of luck on your continuing journey.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting 19 days sober!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. One of my best friends is getting a liver transplant in June and I couldn't imagine having to go through that! None of us deserve to put our bodies through hell and end up needing that! It's the only body we have...best if we be kind to it
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great news. You can do this xxxx