Notices

And again!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And again!

Day One again. I did do something different this morning though (not that I drink in the mornings), I meditated.

You would be surprised how much peace and serenity you can get from simple meditation. I can see why the monks do it. Even just for 15 minutes.

See, my issue is that I have been hanging around chat rooms and forums like these for 7 years, saying I want to quit, but not taking any action.

That is the problem, sure, I'm thinking about quitting ... always, but I know in AA they say it is a program of action and it's true. Just thinking about it and whining on message boards doesn't cut the mustard (so to speak).

So, today I start over with more confidence and a willingness to try something different, like meditation, to help me feel calm when life gets to be too much for me.

Thanks for everyone's support and sorry for whining last night. If alcohol and whining got me anywhere, I would have been cured for sure by now.

Looking forward to afternoon meditation later today as well.

And forward I go ... again, slowly, slowly, slowly.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I am still routing for you. You can win and beat this addiction.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

My best advice, being in the same boat as you is this.
Tell yourself that your not an alcoholic or on day one, but simply you do not drink.

Remove all alcohol from your home, do not buy any new bottles, can etc not even wine to make Bolognese with. Nothing. Meditate often and remember above all treat yourself, you have put your body through years of abuse, pamper yourself from time to time.

Go to the cinema, book a holiday, take up a hobby. Incidentally Golf is full of alcoholic hanging around the 18th hole, its one hobby I would avoid.

Its Friday 13th, unlucky for some, make it lucky for you.

YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU KNOW. YOU CAN BE IN CONTROL OF YOUR OWN LIFE ON YOUR OWN TERMS.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks autan. You know, it's always the little things that trip me up. Yesterday it was the phone ringing as I just got in the door from walking my dog.

Phone ringing? No, big deal, right? But when you couple that with the day I had, running around for job applications, eating lunch late, phone ringing when I walked in the door after all my morning running around, and answering it, shrugging off my coat and picking it up.

Later, finally, or so I thought, peace, but it was not to be. Phone again, ring, ring. I didn't get it in time, then again and I answered and a little part of my brain telling me I am doing to much again, trying to do everything at once. SLOW DOWN!

That is what led to getting the beer. Instead of listening to that little voice, I answered the phone, felt stressed and like I'm doing to much, until I wanted to escape.

Not only meditation, but looking up in my phone manual how to shut the ringer off. Ha!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Gibbons2 View Post
Thanks autan. You know, it's always the little things that trip me up. Yesterday it was the phone ringing as I just got in the door from walking my dog.

Phone ringing? No, big deal, right? But when you couple that with the day I had, running around for job applications, eating lunch late, phone ringing when I walked in the door after all my morning running around, and answering it, shrugging off my coat and picking it up.

Later, finally, or so I thought, peace, but it was not to be. Phone again, ring, ring. I didn't get it in time, then again and I answered and a little part of my brain telling me I am doing to much again, trying to do everything at once. SLOW DOWN!

That is what led to getting the beer. Instead of listening to that little voice, I answered the phone, felt stressed and like I'm doing to much, until I wanted to escape.

Not only meditation, but looking up in my phone manual how to shut the ringer off. Ha!
Did you know that Jewish People, unplug their phones on a Saturday (their Sabbath), it is so they can concentrate on prayer and spending time with their families.

Maybe its time to look at how you manage your life, after a certain time, remove the cable from the wall or turn off your mobile. Detweet yourself from the work, Facebook off, email off, web off, even if that means SR off.
Light some candles to create a mood, drink Chinese leaf tea, I found this to be the most relaxing drink ever, far better than alcohol and distress. Go to bed early after a session of meditation and wake up feeling fresh and re-enigised.

I cannot describe to you, how infinitely better you will feel and how proactive you will take on the problems we all have in life. Just remember the "me time" at the end of the day and if that means physically removing yourself, do it.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks autan. You know, years ago when I was sober, I did include meditation and me time. I know that is what I am missing here and I really appreciate your advice.

I also walked, to let go of stress, but sometimes being still helps just as much.

I am a self diagnosed co-dependent. I know this is my bigger problem. In the end, it is still me thinking about me, but that is why I said in my post last night "savior of the world" because that is how I thought of myself with my alcoholic Dad.

In the end, he saved himself. And thought of himself and probably realized he could only do so much, me too.

Yep, sometimes it is just these little things in life which trip me up. I also thank you for the advice that this is not Day One. I don't drink. Years ago, before I started again, I could say that and mean it. Day by day, I can get there again.

I'll check back in later. Right now I have to get to work. I am trying to start my own business here and I have customers I must attend to.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Thanks for continuing to post. You'll get there xx
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I used to make up many reasons/excuses/"triggers" as to why I drank too. Eventually I realized that was causes me to drink is me purchasing alcohol and pouring it down my throat. What's helped me most this time around is realizing that drinking IS the problem, it's not a remedy or even a temporary escape.

I had to abosolutely, positively accept that I can not drink, ever - absolutely zero exceptions. Then when a "trigger" comes along, I just remind myself that i do not drink, and that drinking will make everything worse - guaranteed.

How you get to that point is different for everyone of course. But until i stopped making excuses, nothing changed.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

About the annoying phone and impatience.

Trust me friend, you will find so much inner piece when the addictive voice become whispers that you will have tons of patience.

Glad you are turning things around, you already sound "clearer" that yesterdays in your post!!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

I heard a good one on an AA speaker tape recently:

The difference between an intention and a decision? An intention is followed by more intentions, where as a decision is followed by action.

I used to do a lot of thinking about doing, until alcohol finally beat me.

Have been going to AA for over two years now and have not looked back.

I could not to it on my own.

AA + 12-steps = Program of Action
Old 12-13-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing now Gibbons?

D
Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

when I was sober, I did include meditation and me time. I know that is what I am missing here and I really appreciate your advice.
I also walked, to let go of stress, but sometimes being still helps just as much.
Those are all things that I have found to be so very important to me. Balance is crucial for me.

I think you're on the right path.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still sober!