Notices

Day 24 - Having a bad day. This too shall pass?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Day 24 - Having a bad day. This too shall pass?

I've had more good days than bad at this point. I've had moments of utter boredom, panic, sadness, etc. but I've also had moments of clarity, confidence and mostly importantly and often HOPE. The good moments outnumbering the bad for the most part.

Today started off okay enough but as afternoon turned to evening and evening to night, I'm just feeling BLAH. I even contemplated taking Nyquil to help me sleep (if you remember my "story" I also kicked xanax and pain pills a few days before I kicked alcohol out of my life). So that scares me a bit. I know it's just medicine, but it represents a "head change" to me. I'm not sick just sick of reality at this point and just want to knock the (expletive) out. I didn't take it. I'm not sick. I'm just bored, lonely, stressed and a bit depressed.

Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a better one.

Goodnight.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had a bad day Suekie. I hope tomorrow will be brighter
Good for you for not going with the NyQuil

D
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The bad days will pass and a new day will dawn. Sometimes there's not much you can do about it. But you can try...maybe pick up a new hobby or renew an old one? I did yearbook photography back in HS (think film days and we developed our own B&W) but haven't been into it in maybe 25 years. But lately I've been studying it again pretty seriously, and I'll probably get a new DSLR early next year.

Maybe you just need to get out of your rut. A new hobby might help.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sleep well Suekie, refreshed for a brand new day x
Old 12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Today is not much better. I'm having very bad cravings and I haven't had them this bad since the first week.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

what part of reality are you sick of Suekie?
is it the no respite bit?

can you think of better healthier ways to get a little peace and relaxation?
D
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When things are bad I tell myself that things cannot stay bad forever. I embrace those days, they make me appreciate the good ones even more.

It's like winter. It's cold, I hate it. But without winter I would not feel so immensely joyful about spring.

My little 50 cents, hope it helps you
Old 12-13-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee - yes the no respite.. the fact that I can't just relax in the only way I knew how for 2 decades. Ironically enough though my anxiety level is WAY down, if it wasn't I don't think I would make it. But I still can't take the edge off completely. I find myself craving the taste.. the taste, I can't explain it, was relaxation.

Thepatman - Thank you. That helps.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've tried many things - long baths, hot showers, exercise, hobbies, meditation - with a little practice they all work pretty well, Suekie

D
Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear today was a rough one. Keep up the great work on your sobriety. Those bad days will start to have more and more good ones between them as time goes on. I'm sending good vibes your way for a bright and happy Saturday!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry for the bad day/space, Sukie. I have no pro advice, only things I do ant things others have told me. Two things come to my mind. One, kind of a repeat of what others are saying, but here goes--doing something, finding something, not just to do in order to divert the mind, but to feel alive, even a little bit: get your heart pumping; watch a fun movie; go for a walk and see what you see (sorry I just read Mulberry Street to the kids); go to the bookstore or theater--anything to remind yourself that you are in the land of the living. I've taken quite a few late-night walks over the last three weeks ans sometimes it helps to just feel the cool air, hear my feet on the sidewalk. . . Second thing that come to mind is patience. We spend many years developing our mental habbits and tweaking our bodies and internal chemistry. I'm no doctor, but it must take time to re-program that mess we created. That's my 2 cents. If anything, I hope it helps to remember that we are out there pulling for you, supporting you. I hope tomorrow is a better day, Sukie. Check back in and let us know how you're doing?
Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Suekie for relaxation: would something like yoga interest you or another form of exercise? Are you musical or artistic? Is there an old interest you'd like to revive?

I promise you the sleep, the relaxation and the peacefulness will come. For now try searching for relaxing things you enjoy to replace old behaviours.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Everything passes x