Notices

Day 2.. Again.. Tried AA for the first time

Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2.. Again.. Tried AA for the first time

Well hopefully today was productive.., had a lot of good conversations with friends that were concerned about me... Some recovered alcoholics... Some 'normal' people .. Tried AA for the first time ever too... It seems like I'll be able to get something out of it .. I'm really determined to beat this... It's the only option I have if I want a good life moving forward... This is my second attempt to quit... After being hospitalized I realized how serious this is .. No don't want to die... I really hope I can do this :/
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you can Erik

D
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You CAN do this, Erik. It sounds like you have a good attitude about it and are willing to try whatever you think might help. Hang around here, too, in addition to your real life support. SR is a wonderful source of online support. We're open 24/7. (((HUGS)))
Old 12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you made some good choices and found some positive news today, congrats. I'd agree with the others that sticking around SR is a great idea too. Hope your tomorrow is even better.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm definitely worried about going back to work tomorrow after making such a fool of myself at the work Xmas party and getting carried out and sent away in an ambulance... Ugggh so not looking forward to seeing anyone from work .
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I hope you find AA to be helpful. The Forums here are good places to discuss any questions or misgivings you have.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hi Erik,

I'm a little late to your party, but I've caught up on your threads. I was in a similar position as you. I drank myself not just to the point of hospitalization, but coma and life support. Scary as hell, definitely. I still have flashbacks and nightmares.

But I went to rehab, threw myself into AA (meetings, sponsor, home group, step work, service), and now I'm happily sober coming up on 9 months. One day at a time.

I know how daunting it seems, but try not to project too far in the future about whether or not you can do this. Just concentrate on today and make sure you don't drink. Do everything you have to. Use your fear to motivate you. Get numbers at meetings and reach out to people. Develop a support network, both on SR, and in real life.

But it's absolutely doable. You just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do understand how embarrassed you are. It sounds like you still have employment, which is good. Take it easy on yourself if you can. Hold your head up and face the world with strength. You are allowed to make mistakes. Learning from the mistakes is the most important part.
My last drinking episode tore me into hell. I could not look people in the eye for months. It was awful, mortifying, and the just the thing that I needed to get myself on track. You can do this Erik. You are not alone in this struggle. There is a whole bunch of us that have been right where you are at this moment. Keep on walking forward!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks! The good / possibly bad thing is its a bar so it's tolerated a little more than at other types of businesses... I'm certainly glad I'm not fired ...
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
Well hopefully today was productive.., had a lot of good conversations with friends that were concerned about me... Some recovered alcoholics... Some 'normal' people .. Tried AA for the first time ever too... It seems like I'll be able to get something out of it .. I'm really determined to beat this... It's the only option I have if I want a good life moving forward... This is my second attempt to quit... After being hospitalized I realized how serious this is .. No don't want to die... I really hope I can do this :/
You're already making progress.

Everyone at an AA meeting has been where you've been, with or without the emergency hospitalization. And many of them have lost everything dear to them in their lives.

You just can't get better support than from a group of people who've been to hell and back, and who are all working towards living a better life.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
Thanks! The good / possibly bad thing is its a bar so it's tolerated a little more than at other types of businesses... I'm certainly glad I'm not fired ...
You're very lucky. I used to work in a bar and usually found being around drunk people while sober kept me from wanting to drink at work despite being surrounded by booze.

I'm sorry it happened to you at work but at least it was a party and not on a shift. And it may turn out to be a good thing it happened publicly because you don't have to hide the fact you're trying to get healthier.