SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I did it! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/316161-i-did.html)

Lifeisforliving 12-12-2013 06:17 PM

I did it!

I made it thru my work Christmas party sober!! I just got home & had to let my SR family know. There were boxes of wine, bottles of wine and a fridge full of beer and I didn't have one drop. I wasn't even tempted which was very odd to me (although I didn't question it). I'm so proud of myself!

It was made easier by the fact that my office mate is sober. I made sure I stuck to her like glue - bless her heart!

Do you know what this means? No waking up with a hangover or anxiety over how I got home, what I did or what I said. No walk of shame into work tomorrow a.m. No fishing around looking for answers so that I could try to piece the night back together. No respect lost for me. My integrity as an employee & co-worker is intact!

Very interesting to watch those who did drink. One lady was getting a bit out of control (w/in an hour of arriving). My heart broke for her. I used to be her. Then there were lots who we're staying for the "after party." I used to be those folks too. I didn't feel deprived though. I was ready to get back home to my family.

I know lots of us will be tempted this holiday season. I'm here to tell you that remaining stead-fast in sobriety is my only option.

Thankful & grateful tonight for my sobriety and my journey.

suki44883 12-12-2013 06:18 PM

Good for you!! You done great! Congratulations!! :c011:

Thepatman 12-12-2013 06:20 PM

Well done!! For sure that's a big step in the right direction!

BikerAcct 12-12-2013 06:20 PM

Congratulations! I'm sure being the sober one looked good for all the higher ups also. They want people to have fun, but they don't want them to be drunks.

autan 12-12-2013 06:21 PM

Well done. I am very happy for you.

eoin75 12-12-2013 06:22 PM

Well done, wish you have a great Christmas

Mikie9 12-12-2013 06:24 PM

That's awesome! Watching the drunks, at least for me, shows me more and more why i don't want to do that anymore. I recently figured out if I want to be all hyper and unfiltered, I can do that sober, but it is no where NEAR as embarrassing :)

Notimetoloose 12-12-2013 06:26 PM

Yay, that's wonderful, I have one tonight. I feel confident as well...

Like2Hike 12-12-2013 06:49 PM

Great job, Life! The part about "no hangover in the morning"....that's a gift that sober keeps on giving.

Hevyn 12-12-2013 06:52 PM

Thanks for a great post - very encouraging for those being challenged by these holiday events. There really is life after alcohol. :)

malcolmsloan 12-12-2013 06:53 PM

Right on, Life! That's so good to hear. Enjoy the feeling of success and enjoy your morning. Happy for you.

Pondlady 12-12-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks for sharing……..great to read such a positive post! I love coming home from an event and looking forward to the next morning:)

Lifeisforliving 12-12-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BikerAcct (Post 4343826)
Congratulations! I'm sure being the sober one looked good for all the higher ups also. They want people to have fun, but they don't want them to be drunks.

Didn't even think about that, Biker. Yet another benefit to living a sober life! Thank you so much for pointing that out!!

Lifeisforliving 12-12-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mikie9 (Post 4343830)
That's awesome! Watching the drunks, at least for me, shows me more and more why i don't want to do that anymore. I recently figured out if I want to be all hyper and unfiltered, I can do that sober, but it is no where NEAR as embarrassing :)

Good point, Mikie. One thing I did think tonight was that I could still be goofy & have fun anyway. After all, the drunks won't remember it tomorrow anyway! :lmao

Lifeisforliving 12-12-2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose (Post 4343835)
Yay, that's wonderful, I have one tonight. I feel confident as well...

You can do it, Notimetoloose. It was (dare I say) easy for me. If I can do it so can you!!

You've got all the support you need right here. If you don't mind, check in after & let me know how it goes.

Dee74 12-12-2013 07:21 PM

Awesome stuff life :c014:

D

FourSeasons 12-12-2013 07:29 PM

Congratulations and Great Post !!! Remember this post whenever your AV acts up. Personal reminders like this will help you stay strong! :c011:

Kat60 12-12-2013 07:54 PM

Great Job!!!! You should be very proud of yourself!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

Mikie9 12-12-2013 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by FourSeasons (Post 4343980)
Congratulations and Great Post !!! Remember this post whenever your AV acts up. Personal reminders like this will help you stay strong! :c011:

I send myself emails about moments like this.

I even yell at myself in them. When someone else points things out it can be ignored, but when it's YOU doing it, it makes you think about it. When someone else yells at you, you get defensive. But when it is you yelling at yourself who are you going to get defensive with? Probably the thoughts that made you yell in the first place :)

Like a double negative, it cancels itself out and I can move on.

PurpleKnight 12-13-2013 01:08 AM

That's amazing and inspiring!! :You_Rock_