Notices

Starting Detox Today

Old 12-12-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Detox Today

I've always been a social drinker (since I was 18, now 32).

Two years ago, I was prescribed Zoloft for depression. It brought out mania in me. Turns out I am bipolar. It also made me increase my drinking (1/2-full bottle of vodka per day for about 6 months). From my reading on the net, that seems to be a common reaction. I got off the Zoloft and cut back on the drinking.

Back to social drinking for about 12 months, but then in July I was made redundant. It was hard to find work and the first contract job I found let me work from home. I started drinking from morning to night. I have been drinking a bottle of vodka (750ml) per day.

I got a new job 3 weeks ago. And wanted to cut back on the drinking. But bam...hello withdrawal symptoms. Dry retching, tremors, anxiety. So I kept drinking just to quell these symptoms so I could get to work.

Today I said "enough". I can't keep functioning like this. I feel sick. I am not operating to capacity in my job. I am waking up having shots for breakfast just to get to work - not good!

So I went to the Dr. But the time I got there I was shaking badly and had to lie down in her office cause my anxiety was through the roof. She put me straight on a short-term course of valium.

Am home now. Have had 20mg since lunch. Hands are still slightly shaky. I am a little anxious, especially about going to bed without booze (but another valium ought to do the trick...I hope).

Am wondering if the withdrawals will be worse tomorrow. Apparently they do. Hopefully the valium helps.

I should add that last June I stop (cold turkey, lucky with very little withdrawal) from a 3 year valium addiction (5-20mg / day depending on how I was feeling. So I imagine that has contributed to my current withdrawals (kindling).

If I can get through the next few days - hurrah! Then I need to look at long term planning. How to stay sober. Fortunately I eat well and exercise regularly (yup, I can do a 45min circuit class on vodka).

Starting the journey today feels good
Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Best of luck. I am sure you will come through the other end with flying colours. There are all kinds of support groups out there and here of course. Just look around the forum for ideas. Valium helped me withdrawal by the way but I have never been addicted to it, so not sure how that works but I am sure they know what they're doing xxxx
Old 12-12-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are not alone Clare. A few months after I went on Prozac I started drinking heavily and then BAM, it was out of control!

I am rooting for you. Good luck and be well in detox!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Clare, there is lots of support here. Best wishes.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Withdrawal should be over in a week or less. Please get medical help if you start feeling bad.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support

Day 1 went fine. Had valium. It settled my mad shakes. Slept ok. Again, thanks to the valium. I did have wacky vivid dreams (although that is not unusual for me) and I did wake up bathed in (detox?) sweat.

Day 2 was fine. Went through 1/2 the valium the Dr said I could take.

Day 3 going well. My biggest challenge is not the withdrawals but more the thought of 'hey, it's Sat/Sun, let's have a drink'. Need to work on getting out of the habit!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You go Clare!
I tried Wellbutrin to stop smoking and it was said it decreases the urge to drink and eat as well, as it reduced that brain receptor group. It quadrupled my urge to drink and I started drinking scotch in my morning coffee to stop the shakes it caused. I went from two packs a day to three, and gained 30 pounds in the five months I hung in there determined to quit. It caused me to have two other problems. So don't feel alone. My doc said it has that effect on one in a thousand.

Good choice to see your doc. Keep posting and reading. For the keeping quit two things, do you want to go through this again, and why not get local support too? Counseling, AA for a bit not necessarily forever. I used AA and here for my support groups along with my docs and family.

Life didn't get better, but I got better at life.