Notices

Rational Recovery

Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery

I am 8 days into my sobriety. I can always quit for months at a time. And then that lil' beast in my head (wait that BIG beast) in my head rationalizes, daydreams and ultimately talks me into a drink here and then a drink there and then eventually full on Binge out night. Only lasts a night. I'm not a multi day binger. However, I do my damage in the course of 1 night. I'm currently recovering from a few really bad falls where I split my knee and broke my thumb and apparently took the microphone from the MC at a burlesque show and then just layed on the dance floor with it. And all in front of my ex-husband and his new wife... yah... So I've made the permanent choice. I have been reading up on Rational Recovery and I think this will be the method for me. I have tried AA and it is such a cool place with loving members. However, it just isn't for me. I do not like the social aspect or the time commitment of having to physically be in meetings. I don't buy into that part of it. I think that 'my' drinking is totally lack of self control and self indulgence. I'm ashamed of myself. But I am picking it up and moving on. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with Rational Recovery?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have used Rational recovery, specifically AVRT. Some say that it has to work the first time. I failed to recognize my own beast and went back to the bottle. But I'm now back on track and using the technique.

There is a section here called secular connections aimed at this approach.

Good luck with your sobriety!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't know about rational recovery. However if your drinking is a result of lack of control and self indulgence, you don't have a lot of knowledge about alcoholism. I'm an alcoholic. My drinking is a result of the disease of alcoholism. Drinking because of Self indulgence is a character defect and a moral issue. That is not alcoholism.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Recovery works, regardless of the method, if you work at your recovery. Recovery through AA isn't just going to meetings. And Rational Recovery isn't just reading a book and saying your AV is your problem. There's work required in learning to live sober.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on 8 Days!!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Quite a few people in the Secular Connections forum are using Rational Recovery. Good place to discuss it.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sunshine72;4341937]I am 8 days into my sobriety. I have tried AA and it is such a cool place with loving members. However, it just isn't for me. I do not like the social aspect or the time commitment of having to physically be in meetings. I don't buy into that part of it. I think that 'my' drinking is totally lack of self control and self indulgence. I'm ashamed of myself. QUOTE]

Hi. When I first got involved in AA some of my thinking was like yours. Well after many years of experience in the fellowship I still find my first thoughts invalid.
My drinking was to escape from MY feelings which I needed to recognize and deal with for long term sobriety. I needed to learn from flesh people how they deal with their emotions and triggers. This takes time and self honesty which can result in being comfortable in our own skin. Yes there are the same bumps in the road but we learn how to react without trying to escape.

BE WELL
Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome toSR.
you're going to get several different opinions.
i do not subscribe to disease concept or AA program either...31 months sober( i don't count), i'm just now a non drinker normal person. or trying to be logical.
tired of embarrassment was a big thing for me too.
i don't follow much of a big plan or program, i try to be sensible and log in here daily.
whatever helps you is good method.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
welcome toSR.
you're going to get several different opinions.
i do not subscribe to disease concept or AA program either...31 months sober( i don't count), i'm just now a non drinker normal person. or trying to be logical.
tired of embarrassment was a big thing for me too.
i don't follow much of a big plan or program, i try to be sensible and log in here daily.
whatever helps you is good method.
Fab post.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Don't know about rational recovery. However if your drinking is a result of lack of control and self indulgence, you don't have a lot of knowledge about alcoholism. I'm an alcoholic. My drinking is a result of the disease of alcoholism. Drinking because of Self indulgence is a character defect and a moral issue. That is not alcoholism.
Whether it is alcoholism or character defects it is a problem and I'm here for support and help whatever shape that comes in I'll take it.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just finished reading rational recovery, the new cure and it resonated with me and I am using AVRT and mindfulness as my tools. I'm not an AA type of person for many reasons. I'm not going to struggle my whole life or be on recovery my whole life. I'm only on day 28 do I am a bit green to speak, but I am a non drinker.

" I will never drink again and I will not change my mind"

That being said, you have to find what works for you, perhaps you can liken it to trying on different pairs of glasses.

Do a search in the secular thread for AVRT, you will find lots of good long threads there.

Be kind to yourself
Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
I am 8 days into my sobriety. I can always quit for months at a time. And then that lil' beast in my head (wait that BIG beast) in my head rationalizes, daydreams and ultimately talks me into a drink here and then a drink there and then eventually full on Binge out night. Only lasts a night. I'm not a multi day binger. However, I do my damage in the course of 1 night. I'm currently recovering from a few really bad falls where I split my knee and broke my thumb and apparently took the microphone from the MC at a burlesque show and then just layed on the dance floor with it. And all in front of my ex-husband and his new wife... yah... So I've made the permanent choice. I have been reading up on Rational Recovery and I think this will be the method for me. I have tried AA and it is such a cool place with loving members. However, it just isn't for me. I do not like the social aspect or the time commitment of having to physically be in meetings. I don't buy into that part of it. I think that 'my' drinking is totally lack of self control and self indulgence. I'm ashamed of myself. But I am picking it up and moving on. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with Rational Recovery?
Yes, all good.

You and I both used to be episodic drinkers. At one point I chose to make my last drink my very last drink. You may now choose to do that as well. Welcome to the option of becoming a permanent abstainer. Think very realistically about the possibility that you WILL NEVER experience the sensation of having alcohol in your blood, EVER AGAIN.

Rational Recovery's AVR Technique is designed to get people there as quickly as possible, and at the same time let them live life the way they want.

I, too, learned that my drinking was "totally lack of self control". I experimented with moderation a lot, but always found that the ME who wanted to moderate became absent from the universe after several drinks. But that ME who wanted to moderate would come back after the last hangover was forgotten.

I also learned, as you, that my drinking was a "self-indulgence" that I became "ashamed of". This is the prime motivator in Rational Recovery - the simple but powerful understanding that any more drinking, ever, is just plain WRONG for me. And you don't need to know anything about the ism of "alcoholism" in order to succeed with Rational Recovery's AVRT.

If you start putting your "drinking" into the past tense, you will be well on your way.

I think that 'my' drinking WAS totally lack of self control and self indulgence, because it's not going to happen any more.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=IOAA2;4342658]
I am 8 days into my sobriety. I have tried AA and it is such a cool place with loving members. However, it just isn't for me. I do not like the social aspect or the time commitment of having to physically be in meetings. I don't buy into that part of it. I think that 'my' drinking is totally lack of self control and self indulgence. I'm ashamed of myself. QUOTE]

Hi. When I first got involved in AA some of my thinking was like yours. Well after many years of experience in the fellowship I still find my first thoughts invalid.
My drinking was to escape from MY feelings which I needed to recognize and deal with for long term sobriety. I needed to learn from flesh people how they deal with their emotions and triggers. This takes time and self honesty which can result in being comfortable in our own skin. Yes there are the same bumps in the road but we learn how to react without trying to escape.

BE WELL
I totally appreciate and respect your post. My issue isn't to escape anything though. I've dealt with any unresolved issues through therapy and tons of self-help books, etc... out there. I'm at peace with my feelings and who I am. My issue is with not being able to stop drinking until I am drunk. Does that make sense?
So I just don't want to drink ever again. I'm good with my emotions and everything else in my life. I am blessed with all that I do have.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Yes, all good.

You and I both used to be episodic drinkers. At one point I chose to make my last drink my very last drink. You may now choose to do that as well. Welcome to the option of becoming a permanent abstainer. Think very realistically about the possibility that you WILL NEVER experience the sensation of having alcohol in your blood, EVER AGAIN.

Rational Recovery's AVR Technique is designed to get people there as quickly as possible, and at the same time let them live life the way they want.

I, too, learned that my drinking was "totally lack of self control". I experimented with moderation a lot, but always found that the ME who wanted to moderate became absent from the universe after several drinks. But that ME who wanted to moderate would come back after the last hangover was forgotten.

I also learned, as you, that my drinking was a "self-indulgence" that I became "ashamed of". This is the prime motivator in Rational Recovery - the simple but powerful understanding that any more drinking, ever, is just plain WRONG for me. And you don't need to know anything about the ism of "alcoholism" in order to succeed with Rational Recovery's AVRT.

If you start putting your "drinking" into the past tense, you will be well on your way.
LOVE your post! You hit me right on the money!!! Thank goodness I"m not the only one that feels this way about handling this beast.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

LOVE your post! You hit me right on the money!!! Thank goodness I"m not the only one that feels this way about handling this beast.
I believe we are in the majority in regard to "handling this beast" - a majority that understandably chooses to keep past indiscretion private, and is therefore relatively unseen in the public eye.

Well, here on SR, we are incognito, which is quite a nice feature for learning AVRT.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi Sunshine, glad to have you aboard! You will find lots of support here for you. If you like GT's understanding of the 'lil beast in your head', then you are in very good company. We are not at the fringes, but right smack dab in the majority - most of us who were formerly dependent on alcohol, about 75%, quit without recourse to any formal program.

My understanding of alcoholism was that I did it, initially anyway, for the pure pleasure of it, and I chased that buzz and others like it for decades. It really started to mess with my mental health and I did stuff I am not proud of while in active addiction. At the end, I was drinking not for the pleasure of it but to quiet my mind that had become afflicted with depression and anxiety, and to deal with the physical withdrawal from not having consumed any for a few hours. I was pretty messed up.

My time came when I decided to face my demons sober, whatever they were. After a short time sober, those demons had shrunk to manageable size, and the rest of them disappeared altogether. I did this by learning to recognize what I called My Parasite, what you call your lil beast. I made my choice to quit drinking, and any thoughts of ever doing that again, or doubt in my ability to do it, were from that addiction voice. Not me, not anymore.

Soon after this, I learned what I had been doing has a name, AVRT. That is really just a collection of ideas that folks have been using to quit alcohol for thousands of years.

Anyway, there is lots of discussion of this and other ways to empower yourself in our Secular Connections forum. On your way there, remember to believe in yourself and your ability. You can quit and you can stay quit. Onward!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
We are not at the fringes, but right smack dab in the majority
Thank you awesome post. Very inspirational! What does the reference mean not on the fringes, but the majority?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sunshine72;4343095]
Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post

I totally appreciate and respect your post. My issue isn't to escape anything though. I've dealt with any unresolved issues through therapy and tons of self-help books, etc... out there. I'm at peace with my feelings and who I am.

My issue is with not being able to stop drinking until I am drunk. Does that make sense?

So I just don't want to drink ever again. I'm good with my emotions and everything else in my life. I am blessed with all that I do have.
Hi. Your issue is called alcoholism in the medical community and among members of AA. It's cunning, baffling and powerful and says we are ok even though many times we try to disprove we are alcoholic. There are millions in AA and the vast majority find they need to work on the feelings and emotions that are at the base of their drinking problem. We find that a lot of time and work is involved along with self honesty regarding our problem. Those that don't recover look for the softer easier way which I'm afraid is non existent for the long term.
Not bragging but the above is based on many years of experience along with about 15,000 meetings.

BE WELL
Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=IOAA2;4343203]

Hi. Your issue is called alcoholism in the medical community and among members of AA. It's cunning, baffling and powerful and says we are ok even though many times we try to disprove we are alcoholic. There are millions in AA and the vast majority find they need to work on the feelings and emotions that are at the base of their drinking problem. We find that a lot of time and work is involved along with self honesty regarding our problem. Those that don't recover look for the softer easier way which I'm afraid is non existent for the long term.
Not bragging but the above is based on many years of experience along with about 15,000 meetings.

BE WELL
Definitely alcoholic here. No denying that. AA works great for allot of you. Not so much for others. We are all wired differently. I'm so happy to have found SR. So many choices so just because you are an alcoholic doesn't mean you are painted into a corner with 1 program. I don't think that anyone who is serious about kicking it considers any approach to be soft or easy. I think AVRT is almost as hardcore as AA because that is one heck of a commitment to make. Thank you for your post.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR
I am glad you decided to join us and made a commitment to quit. Whatever method works for you, stick to it and don't pick up the first drink no matter what.
You will find a lot of support here.