Notices

Hospitalization last night

Old 12-11-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
This is going to be a long hard road to travel ..
Imagine how much harder it will be if you keep drinking. The road of active drinking by an alcoholic is always a dead end..and sometimes literally.

You are correct that it won't be easy, the initial withdrawal are short, but can be very serious. The real work starts when you relearn to live sober.

The good news is here is help everywhere to guide you. SR is a great resource. You mentioned AA too, that's also a great idea. The critical first step is to stop today.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Erik,
Sorry you ended up in the hospital, but really glad you are ok!!!

Make this your turning point and keeping doing the next right thing! It will be hard, but it will be worth it...

A career change may be in order, but if you have been successful as a bartender then you have a lot of skills that are transferable to other industries!!!

Do what's right for you and keep taking care of YOU!!

Keep posting and keep learning!! Wishing you the very best!!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Please consider getting a different job.

It will probably mean a serious cut in pay. But you'll have a chance at being sober. I was a bartender for over a decade and there was no way I could have quit while tending bar - or working in a restaurant for that matter.

You're going to have to quit tending bar sooner or later anyway.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Erik you make me feel human instead of like a piece crap. I do the same thing. I always have good intentions and then BAM! Like a freight train. You are in the right place though. I hope the best for you...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sunshine72's analogy reminded me of a poem written by someone 2 months before their death. It seems apt

Went downtown—Hastings and Main
Looking for relief from the pain
All I did was find
A one-way ticket on a Hellbound Train

On a farm not far away
Several friends were taken away
Rest their souls from the pain
End their ride on the Hellbound Train

Give me peace before I die
The track is laid out so well
We all live our private hell
Just more tickets on the Hellbound Train

Hellbound Train
Hellbound Train
One-way ticket on a Hellbound Train

Get off while you can Erik.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I know I'm trying for sure ... I am significantly scared especially after hearing how I got carried out of the bar... Unresponsive ... Really scary ....
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am glad you are ok. I ended up in hospital after drinking and unfortunately I work there. It was my turning point. I wish you all the best and I am glad you are ok. Be kind to yourselfxx
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I have been hospitalized due to over drinking 3 times myself. Luckily in my case by the grace of God I made it out with just some anti anxiety meds and 4 hours on an IV. However I sat in a meeting tonight with a woman who had major organ failure and her last rites read to her several times by the time she was 34 due to over drinking. My advice is to quit while you can and devote some of your sober time to applying for other jobs. Alcoholism only gets worse my man.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Erik, you can do this. I'm only on day 17, but I cannot drink again. I did not end up in the hospital, but probably should have been. I was so sick at my stomach I could hardly eat for four days. Ended up drinking Ensure just to make sure I had some nutrition going into my body. I'm not saying this is easy, but every time I think about wanting a drink, I go back to that day and I can still remember how sick I felt and how stupid I felt for letting myself get to that point. My body started feeling better after about three days and everyday it feels better. I'm so excited about that part that I just can't let myself drink. I want to see what's next for me. I wish you the best. I wish the best for all of us on here. Stay strong.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
Waking up in the hospital was scary
That's a good thing.

When you start waking up in the hospital as part of your routine, as I did at the end of my three-year relapse, then you've already lost everything important to you in life, or you're just days, hours or minutes from doing so.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey man

i am sorry to hear what happened to you....it has happened to me a number of times before i finally came to the realisation that my best friend and lover was also a demon in disguise who was seductive, all powerful and loved me in return like a black widow spider.

maybe it is your time to shine now????

v
Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Let this be the moment for change. I am sorry for what has happened. I do empathize greatly with this situation. I too, ended up in a situation that was and still is deeply mortifying. If I can get sober and remain sober for the last 9 months, you can do this. One day at a time. One moment at a time. Please know that you are not alone on this road!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yeah I am 100 percent convinced I need to stop... I can't wait to feel good again .. Booze truly could be the death of me if I don't stop... I just need to remember this next time a month goes by without a drink and I somehow lie to myself that I will be able to moderate ....
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hang in there Erik. I have a feeling that in months to come, you'll be telling your story to others who are starting out
Be kind to yourself.