Notices

Hospitalization last night

Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I got taken by a coworker to the ER last year once too. Coudln't even get up from my desk because I thought I was having a heart attack from my stupid decision to try and detox on my own. That actually wasn't my final wakeup call either, but it was close.

Bottom line, we can never be "normal" when it comes to drinking, but we can be sober - that includes you. And the good news is that you have 100% control over that decision if you decide to make it. I hope you can find the strength to decide that you want sobriety more than you want to drink, because it's well worth it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We all know how you feel. Why were you in the hospital if I may ask? Glad your here.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was unresponsive and they called 911... So scary... So embarassing ... So awful ... I don't want this anymore for myself
Old 12-11-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
The idea of drinking right now is so repulsive ... But in a few days or a week I know it will be appealing ... Such a psychological thing... I know I must stop though .. Waking up in the hospital was scary
Waking up in the hospital is better than NOT waking up in the morgue. You might consider a plan for staying sober in the long term. Going to an AA meeting might be worth considering. It's sure helped me, and kept me out of both of the above named places.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My last attempt at drinking "normally" ended with a hospital visit as well; I still have some lingering head-injury related stuff I have to deal with. I consider myself lucky. You are too! My hospitalization and subsequent dealings with plastic surgery led to me becoming sober. I've been sober for over a year. You can do this. Totally sucks for the first few weeks but it does get easier....much easier. Consider this a wake up call. Stick around to this site...we are all here for you
Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What made you drink at the company xmas party? How much did you drink to get that far in?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post
I suppose most of us have an event that causes us to reach a point of having had enough. It was 46-days ago for me, and I will never forget it as long as I live. I also felt that if I could have just disappeared without hurting those I love even more, I may well have. It's up to you to decide what happens from here, and of course you can succeed as many others have. As they say, it's really very simple, but damn sure not easy. Focus on what you need to do, and try not to beat yourself up too bad. That was really hard for me during the first 3-4 weeks.
I am going through this right now. A week ago today, I was arrested. I will never, ever drink again. I am still going through the embarrassment, guilt, shame and despair of the consequences of my actions. It is really difficult to manage my anxiety over all of this, but when I think about it, things are a lot better than they were a week ago. Plus, the bonus is that I never have to drink again. Nobody that knows me would ever offer me alcohol, my house is dry, and my mentality is very different. I just feel like I am allergic to alcohol.

In one sense, you can be glad that it wasn't worse than a trip to the hospital. As a law-abiding citizen and one who has always respected police officers, I would have never in my life thought I would be arrested - but it happened.

I hope you are able to keep your job and somehow get through all of the embarrassment of approaching people who saw you at your worst, especially when you don't remember what you did or said. Have faith in yourself and value your worth as a person. You will be able to get through this, it just takes time (at least that's is what others have told me).
Old 12-11-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I was unresponsive and they called 911... So scary... So embarassing ... So awful ... I don't want this anymore for myself
Good and I am glad that you are ok. Is there a way you could request a rehab after the detox? Since it happened at the company's party, it's not like you will have to explain your going away to your boss.
Hang in there, it will get better
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Omg I thought I was reading my story I just did the same after 10 mths of sobriety Xmas drank didn't see it coming at all resulting In hospital first time for me nearly died could have you know what it helped me be In a place of acceptance and it brings peace try and learn from this it will strengthen you a lot it truly does there are no mistakes it's our path you know what are those people really normal are they really having fun ? From this experience I went through it helped me and now I can see looking back the signs I do things different now our sobriety is number 1 I reach out a lot more now be gentle with yourself in time you will see that this will help you xxxxx
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well I work at a bar so it's not really a normal job ... I dunno ... .
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ummm...dude.....time to get a different job. Don't even tell me there are no other choices for employment. If you have worked at a bar you have customer service skills, time management skills, and tons of patience. There are PLENTY of alcohol-free establishments that would love to have you. You deserve better.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well I work at a bar so it's not really a normal job ... I dunno ... .
maybe not but your boss is still a human being and the fact that you had to be taken away in an ambulance sure is a sign no one can ignore. I would definitely suggest you use this opportunity to get into treatment.
Either
a) your boss is a good person and knows you need help and will let you take time off (not sure if you have benefits and insurance, maybe you could ask to talk to a social worker about your options)
b) he has a heart of stone or he is fed up with your antics and will let you go then you can always worry about getting a job when you leave treatment (plus it might be for the best, I knew some sober bartenders in AA but it has to be a very hard job for someone in early sobriety).

Take care of yourself, you are worth it.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yeah a new line if work might be in order .... I can't afford time off really... Unfortunately ... I am hating life right now... I sincerely hope I don't get fired .... Ugggh I feel so lost and alone ... It's even more frustrating that I quit for a month and was loving all the benefits of it, and then here I am again, right back where I started from ... Worse off though ... Never been hospitalized before ...
Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hang in there Erik, day one is hard. Things will clear up for you the longer you are sober.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This is going to be a long hard road to travel ..
Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The good thing is you don't have to look too far for others on that same road!! . . . SR is here 24/7 if you need to find people to lean on for support!!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It is really helpful to know I'm not alone in this .... All in all this is so frustrating though
Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Eric,, hay Bro nice to hear you are ok, i hope you recover quickly. be strong and stay sober
Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Erik - I feel for you for going through that. I'm so glad you're ok.

This could be the further proof you need to get sober. Once it's in your system you don't know where it might lead. I was the same way - had to learn a hard lesson. Here's where life can change for the better - you are going to avoid so much pain by stopping now. We know you can do it. Please give yourself a break and look at this as a new beginning.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This is going to be a long hard road to travel ..
Lucky for you you've got lots of company. You'll never be alone on this road. And from what I've been told, pretty soon it won't even be that hard.

Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said. Just wanted you to know you have my support.