unrehearsed

Old 12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Marie

D
Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome- I am a mom to 2 children- boy and girl and I am also an alcoholic. I've been sober for over 5 years but I remember being where you are today like it was yesterday. Keep coming back.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Another mom here. I have 2 kiddos. I think my oldest (son, age 12) was just starting to catch on to my little secret. I'm so thankful I stopped for both of my children's sake.

I'm newly sober and have my first Christmas party tomorrow night. I think I'll be ok. It's a work party and one of my office mates is sober too. I don't know her story yet only that she used to drink A LOT (her words) and now she doesn't. I take that back - I do know her story...we all do. We get along very well so I'm going to make sure I stick by her for moral support.

Anyway, welcome! I'm so glad you're here.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Marie,
You didn't mention if you've discussed this with your husband yet. Would it be helpful to talk with him about it? He may decide your sobriety is more important than a holiday party this year. My husband was a huge support to me when I stopped drinking.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome, Marie. I'm 3 weeks in to my sobriety, and I was super worried about Thanksgiving. While I used some of the tools I learned here from reading, posting, and responding, I had a big boost of confidence just knowing that others were doing the same as me--working on a sober holiday. We're all in it together, and while we are all different, we share a common goal: Sobriety. Community, even if online, is powerful. We're here to support one another.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Marie, on my 10th day without a drink we had our company dinner. I was the only one not drinking. I was anxious at first, but honestly I had more fun than I have in the past when I had one drink after another. I treated myself to dessert at the end when they were ordering after dinner drinks. I also was the designated driver for a co-worker so that helped. Just tell yourself I will do this and I can have as much fun without the drink. I promise you will get through it if you just stay focused on the end game. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Marie. Totally see where you are coming from. I am 18 days sober after a bad night where enough was enough. I have two boys 8 and 11, work full time and have spent a lot of money and time on drinking. I had a mom's night out last weekend that I had committed to being the driver. Boy did I battle with my self about going. Usually I would of had 1-2 drinks before I even left the house. I just kept thinking if only I had a drink! I ended up going and at first I felt awkward and wanted to leave but as the night unfolded I had a good time and didn't spend one dime. Remembered everything! The other moms only had two drinks each the whole night. I would have been up to 6-8 by my usual drinking standards. You can have fun sober. Work party tomorrow and I also have a good sober friend at work where a can not have drinks together. It has it's ups and downs but overall I feel 100% better. Just have to go to AA as I to think I will need support as I progress on this journey. I sure as hell don't want to be here 10 years from now when my kids are grown thinking why didn't I stop back then.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Marie!!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome. I think that sobriety does a world of good for people. You are not alone in this at all. You can get sober and remain sober with support and effort. The beginning days are always the toughest. Stay close, read, and post often. This forum has been imperative to my sobriety.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by marie1973 View Post
Thanks for the support and confidence that I can make it through the weekend. I do know that I can do it even if it means going home early, my husband isn't big on staying out late anyway, usually its me begging to stay out "just a little longer".

My sobriety plan isn't really in place yet, this past weekend was my breaking point, which I'm planning on making a post on asking for some advice on, I've stayed sober the last three days because I was afraid to drink, knowing I would over indulge, my nerves where shot from this weekends events and I pretty much said to myself :NO MORE. Done. I need to make a plan that I can stick with and is realistic, just haven't gotten there yet, but my wheels are turning and my ears are open.
I'm glad you recognize you need a plan Marie. Have you got any initial ideas you want to bounce off of us? Reading around the forums here should give you lots of ideas.