Notices

Old bad habit useful again..

Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old bad habit useful again..

So like many others here, I had gotten pretty good at hiding my empties. Empty cereal boxes were a great place to stash an empty pint bottle in the trash:-)

Well since I have been sober, I have been eating chocolate. Not as much in the beginning because I am on Weight Watchers, but every other night or so I allow myself 2 squares of it.

Unfortunately, hubby has no self control when it comes to sweets, so he eventually asked that I hide it.

Tonight I found myself stashing my Ghiradelli squares in a lasagna noodle box! It reminded me of my old bad habits and how much work was involved to maintain my addiction. It made me chuckle at first, then I felt so very blessed to have achieved more than 7 months sober and reflect on how happy I am that my "hiding skills" are only for chocolate now:-)
Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL!! Good trick! I guess I did not need to dig that huge hole in my backyard after all. Cereal boxes. Dohh!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Great place to hide the chocolate. Just don't ask your husband for help in making lasagna! Congrats on seven months sober.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
LOL!! Good trick! I guess I did not need to dig that huge hole in my backyard after all. Cereal boxes. Dohh!
Ha!! mine were in the washing machine. Sometimes I'd forget and turn it on, resulting in a warm, sparkling bottle of vodka Sometimes, I was so frustrated because I would hide them elsewhere and forget where they were.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
So like many others here, I had gotten pretty good at hiding my empties. Empty cereal boxes were a great place to stash an empty pint bottle in the trash:-)

Well since I have been sober, I have been eating chocolate. Not as much in the beginning because I am on Weight Watchers, but every other night or so I allow myself 2 squares of it.

Unfortunately, hubby has no self control when it comes to sweets, so he eventually asked that I hide it.

Tonight I found myself stashing my Ghiradelli squares in a lasagna noodle box! It reminded me of my old bad habits and how much work was involved to maintain my addiction. It made me chuckle at first, then I felt so very blessed to have achieved more than 7 months sober and reflect on how happy I am that my "hiding skills" are only for chocolate now:-)
Great story. I really believe it is healthy to have a giggle about stuff in the past.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Haha empties, since recycling I couldn't put all those bottles in the tub people would think I was an alci so I bought the cardboard containers of wine then I could shred cardboard up into bits before putting in recycle. Devious, but drank copious more amounts buying in box of wine.
So pleased I don't have burden of which shop shall I respectively go to buy wine from today. Sobriety has set that free for me x
Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Sometimes, I was so frustrated because I would hide them elsewhere and forget where they were.
LOL KateL! I have done that so many times I can't count! Then the stress of someone finding them....so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just don't forget where you put the chocolate

So freeing to not have to worry about empties or where to buy wine
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lol...no way I will forget where the chocolate is! But yes, I would also forget sometimes where I put the bottles. In fact when I was a few months sober he had found an empty in my lingerie drawer!! Was apparently there for a while (actually think he needed WD-40 to get the drawer open;-). But I digress...anyway...I was so relieved that he believed me that it was an "old" empty, and that I hadn't been sneaking.

I mean...who could blame him if he didn't believe me. Was very grateful!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Totally relate to this post. Anyone ever stash a bottle in the toilet, not in the bowl, of course, but in the back? Can't believe I rationalized that one.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Used to wrap up my empties in paper towels and bury them in the garbage. If i had a full bottle i didnt want anyone to find i'd stash it in a box in the basement! So stressful!! Hope to keep those days behind me. Thx for sharing dolly!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think I ever hid bottles! I would take a swig out of an old bottle of something in the cabinet and then shove it to the back but that's as bad as I got. I started to become more transparent when I realized I had a problem and decided to tell my husband.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Funny thread ! I stashed my empties in my book cabinet and camera bags as no one was allowed near them. Then I would carefully wrap them in separate newspaper and toss them in bins around the neighborhood. The garbage collectors must have thought our streets were full of drunks.