Notices

Slipped on day 6 and feel powerless

Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped on day 6 and feel powerless

Of course I am not powerless, I chose to drink. Hating myself and has an upset BF who caught me drinking in the closet, which has happened before and I promised never to do it again. Kind of lost faith in myself, wondering how on earth I will make it through December.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Laura

Firstly, realize that you have an addiction and that you are trying to become abstinent. It is a difficult road to travel and will be bumpy. You should look in the mirror and have compassion for that addict. Encourage her to not give up and forgive her for the slip.

The past cannot be undone but you can learn from it. Learn how to avoid the trigger(s) that made you pick up. Discard the negative emotions such as hatred, shame, guilt, remorse or loathing. They are of no benefit; their only purpose is to drag you down.

Pick yourself up, get back on the wagon and do not give up. We are all here to support you !!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

6 days brilliant, start again and beat it , throw out drink in cupboard or padlock cupboard!
It's not easy it does take a variety of strategies including overcoming boredom in the times that you used to drink and now can't think of anything else and don't have the attention span. But that goes keep warm read watch DVD's eat drink tea sweet drinks and counting can be good. Early numbers are great for breakthrough numbers 1,2 5,7,10, 14, 15, 20,21, 25, 28, 30. Confidence grows with each day. Even when it's rocky mentally it still feels better in the morning waking and knowing you did it.
You know you can do the first day and that has to be the most difficult.
John
Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Forgive yourself and try again. You will get there in the end. x
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried so many times, why would it work this time. I have to do something differently. Just have to figure out what.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 6 Days!!

It's going to come down to managing the cravings, and then as more time passes it'll get easier, this Forum keeps me sane in those times, others choose meetings/sponsors etc . . . but no matter what the plan is support is important.

I also think sitting in the house doing nothing would be my downfall, the days need to be filled with activities to pass the time between waking up and going to bed!!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
I have tried so many times, why would it work this time. I have to do something differently. Just have to figure out what.
I tried and tried for many years and like you, kept failing miserably. But in the end, something just clicked and I thought, 'I've really had it this time.' I've never looked back since. Sometimes many slips are part of the recovery process from what I have done/seen.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel so terribly alone. My family are not supportive at all, my sister has a problem herself and keeps trying to get me to drink, and I canīt avoid her all Christmas. My BF doesnīt realize the scope of my problem even if I try to explain. But he likes me better sober, who wants a blacked-out drunk girlfriend..
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you tried any of the recovery programs such as AA ?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Trying never works. Doing does.

Do it . Have a clear head and enjoy this Christmas coming sober.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I read up on AVRT, but havenīt tried AA yet. Looking into it though, perhaps I should try it.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Its funny that I otherwise can be very stubborn and get things done when I decide to do them. But this is hard.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There are many recovery tools out there. Have a good old google.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Support Support Support......Try to find and AA meeting , there are many many people there who are just like us and have been in our shoes!!!

You can do it!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Regarding aa-meetings, when I look at their site in my country, most meetings are closed and they only have open meetings once a month. What does that mean?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

closed meetings are only for alcoholics, and not family member or friends who are not. AA will never turn anyone away who thinks they have a problem though....it may be a wise choice to check one out, its really hard to go about being sober alone, I have tried and it never worked very well for myself
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it does work for some. The camaraderie was helpful for me in the beginning, that's for sure.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did the same last weekend. Only thing to do is start again. Hating yourself for it will only send you back. Use here as well. It helps. Off to my 2nd AA meeting now. Not as scary as I thought!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cheebiechi said "closed meetings are only for alcoholics, and not family member or friends who are not." You can go to any "closed" meeting you want to go to so long as you have a desire to stop drinking. At this stage I would suggest going to some meetings. I attend AA meetings. Even if you ultimately find that AA is not for you it can help in these early days just to spend time with people who have all gone through what you are going through, understand what you are going through and can give you support.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have looked up some meetings, there is one on Friday at lunch which I think fits my schedule. But I am really scared to go, and wonder if it really is any idea. But as I have never been, I donīt know.
BF will be back from work soon, he left early this morning, really nervous about what he is going to say as well. Never want to be in this situation again. Really wish i could be a normal drinker, but it never works.