Notices

newbie 3 days sober

Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie 3 days sober

Well I've decided to clean up my act. I've been searching the web and came across this site . For the past 3 days I've been sober I've been coming here and reading posts a few times a day . Ive been drinking very heavy for the past 5 years every other day I recently had a son and I want to better my self and be his role model and I can't do that unless I'm sober. I want to lead him in the right directions and not make the wrong choices I did. I grew up with 2 drunks for parents and I thought it was normal to be drunk all the time . but its not normal and I'm on the verge of losing my family . so here I am and I need help . I'm 3 long days sober and that voice in my head is already going off . telling me I'm fine and I don't have a problem . but I'm tired of waking up in the morning with a hang over and telling my self I'll never drink again and hating my self . I need tips on how to keep my sobriety . I'm at work right now and I'm already thinking about drinking. I was scared to quit thinking to my self what am I going to do without my booze but these past 3 days I haven't felt better since I don't know how long ago . all of lies and broken promises and a lot of things I feel so guilty about .
Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Foryoumyson, 3 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Rootin for ya.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great stuff on 3 days!!

It's good you have something to focus on and have a reason to be Sober, for your Son.

Most can't do it on their own though, this Forum is great for support, others choose to attend meetings, either way having a plan seems to be the best way forward, I work during the day and so figuring out activities in the evenings has been important, rather than just going home and just sitting thinking about drinking, that would be a recipie for disaster, even if it's reading a book, or getting into a tv show to help pass the time.

It all starts with a Day 1, and as the days go past it gets easier as the cravings become weaker and days filled with new activities becomes the normal pattern of life!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place to get support.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea if im not busy I'm already thinking about going to the store..this is the first Monday I havent had a hang over in along time. it feels great I am more focused with out my head spinning. The only thing thats been tough has been not being able to sleep. Oh and today I feel like I have the shakes. I was thinking about going to an AA meeting but its nerve racking and I'm not sure how to find the right one theres so many different ones. I have a lot of resentment towards my self for being in such a fog and not being able to snap out of it . drinking has brought a lot of trouble to me and it took this long for me to realise it. I was heading down the path to no where and its all my fault.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done. You are showing a great strength by making this decision on your own. Try not to feel guilty, you never chose to be in this situation. Guilt always drove me back to drink.There is lots of support here. Good luck and keep postingxxxx
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome foryoumyson, congrats on 3 days sober. There is a Class of December thread for anyone who is quitting drinking this month. It's a great place for support and motivation:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2013-a.html

Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the hardest thing so far as my brains racing is after work on the way home . turn left to go home or right to the package store and I always turn right . thanks everyone for the replies. boosts my confidence a little since I know I'm not alone in the struggle .
Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
the hardest thing so far as my brains racing is after work on the way home . turn left to go home or right to the package store and I always turn right . thanks everyone for the replies. boosts my confidence a little since I know I'm not alone in the struggle .
If Doctor Who has taught us anything, it's always Turn Left!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Lots of support here for those wanting to quit drinking.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You sound exactly like me (except I have 2 little girls). Join the December class. I just did and am on Day 1.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

how's your day one so far. mine was miserable but it has gotten better I have alot more energy . but just taking it one day at a time I don't want to get to ahead of myself.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard foryoumyson

D
Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Foryoumyson. 3 days is a wonderful achievement. It'll get easier.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
Wow does that sound familiar. It too will pass. Stay strong
Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome foryoumyson, 3 days is awesome, just keep doing what your doing!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!! 3 days is a great accomplishment.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome foryoumyson how awesome to stop over the weekend, well done, easy does it
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I thought it would be best to do it over the weekend that's when i did most of my drinking. But tonight i did get some strong urges still getting them as i write this. But i know i can't just have one. There's no way i'll ever go back to that.

I watched the movie clean and sober with micheal keaton very good movie about addiction.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The urges to drink will get less, the insomnia will pass, and the fog and anxiety will also lift if you can just hang in there one day at a time.

You will start waking up feeling rested, and knowing you didn't do anything to be ashamed or worried about. You will have more money because alcohol is expensive.

You will have more fun times with your son because you won't be drinking and
you will feel like playing with him more.

You will appreciate nature and little things in life each day because you won't be lost
inside a drink or nursing a hangover.

You will start to laugh again and you will look more rested and the puffiness will go away and people will ask you how much weight you have lost.

Anyway, that's what happened to me when I stopped.
It was difficult in the beginning, and I also thought about drinking a lot at first.
Now, I look forward to not drinking each day, so the struggle you are having now
is normal and will pass. Most of us had to fight for those first few days and weeks
but believe me it is so worth it.

You are well on your way with three days--congratulations and please keep posting!