Notices

Showing up

Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Showing up

I went Christmas shopping last night. I always rather deplored that event as it cut into my drinking/hanging/anxiety time. I'm struggling with cravings as of late so what better way to obliterate that than spending gobs of money on credit cards for items that won't be remembered two days later ? I jest (notreally).

This year, dare I say, feels a smidge different though. I have never looked forward to the holiday season before. And the irony is that all along I thought I was doing it right. Stressed out and sleep deprived and over indulged was what I had convinced myself this month was all about. But, sober ? Wow. It's actually....fun ?

My daughter and I had an absolute blast buying fun little cheapo gifts and wrapping them in extraordinarily beautiful trimmings. We sang Christmas songs and parlayed the excursion into a little pamper time, peppering in a pedicure and massage. With my mini me. There was laughter and arms crooked together, and a tea break. I'm even eyeing a Kitchenaid mixer as we might even embark on our first try at Christmas cookies.

I even decorated the damn house. Sober. Christmas Trees don't fall over naturally the night after they were put up ? Apparently when you put the screws in the trunk right the first time, the ghost of Christmas Armageddon bypasses your house in search of the drunky parents that didn't.

Huh. Who knew.

Today will be even more sober magic. I'm taking three of my god sons to Medieval Times for their first time. I can't wait to see their little eyes light up from all the pomp and circumstance. Last year this time, on a Sunday morning I would be licking my wounds from the drunken fiasco that occurred the night before. Trying to convince myself that those 2 bottles of wine while wrapping, that resulted in a vicious and relentless hangover (for days) was deserving because, Damn it, I AM STRESSED.

But this morning, I'm calm. And giddy with excitement. And today feels full of possibilities. And hope. I can make plans and actually show up. Today, only because I am sober , I can be the mom I always wanted to be...

....and the fairy Godmother.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

Huh. Who knew.

+1 hooker
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Wow alpha that was amazing, thankyou x
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post AO! It reminds me that there are so many things to be grateful for when celebrating the holidays sober! It's a chance to experience true joy and to bring joy to others. I can't wait for my first sober Christmas since I began drinking, it is going to be wonderful!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you be my mom!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Alpha , keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Alpha ... nice to read a positive and inspiring post going into the holiday season.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL! Sometimes they still fall over if you put them up sober! Glad you had a fun day!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

put it all on the white night and have a blast
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a lovely post. Thank you for this and have an awesome, sober day!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a great post! I'm always late getting into the Christmas spirit, but hearing about your excitement is nudging me along in the right direction.