Notices

Forced to relive my last drunk last night

Old 12-08-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
LDT

Even though I no longer live in shame and fear, I choose not to forget my past. Remembering helps keep me sober.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I lost my footing down some steps and fell head first.
Something like that?lmao
Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Even though I no longer live in shame and fear, I choose not to forget my past. Remembering helps keep me sober.
I agree wholeheartedly. Every time I've let my past become a distant memory, I've ended up going back out and drinking. I don't obsess over my past, but I also choose not to forget it because 1) it is a good reminder of where I could end up if I ever choose to drink again, and 2) it is a testimony to how far I have come since getting sober. I don't shame myself for it, but instead I have let it be instrumental in helping me become the person I am today.

I live in a small town and it certainly has been mortifying to be reminded by people of some of the embarrassing stuff I did while drinking. But don't let it weigh you down. We have all done things drunk that we would never have done sober. An apology and a nice tip should do it, and then don't dwell on it. Who you are today, and who you are becoming, is more important than who you were then.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I disagree. My opinion is that of course you never forget, but to obsess about it and beat yourself with a stick can cause guilt and negativity. To me that was detrimental and that is why I no longer go to AA. If I hadn't moved on from such things, I would have probably never got better. We can be very different in out approach, just as long as it works. So I would be grateful if you would not poo poo something that has kept me well for ten years. Many thanks, Bob x
but aren't you poo pooing on something that has kept others sober for a long time?

the program of AA doesn't teach us to obsess about it and beat ourselves up over it, unless I have a different big book.
I did a lot of insane things while drunk, things I don't want to forget or I will repeat and if I regret ill get drunk.
the program has made it possible for me to say,"yup, that was me and im greatful im not that man anymore.