Notices

Lock me up!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lock me up!

My AV(alcoholic voice) is very loud and persistent today. I feel like I need to lock my self in a room! I must have convinced myself 10 times today that I could just cheat and drink and smoke tonight and unwind.. So I came here instead, I don't know why today is so difficult..
Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Sharpy!

You made the right choice to come here!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sharpy, any time my AV has been roaring, I have come here and I don't end up drinking. Good choice! This too shall pass. Impersonalize the craving and observe it from a physical sense.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We all have tough days and yes they can be difficult! Think about how you'll feel in the morning when you wake up WITHOUT a hangover. There are also posts with long lists of things to do to get through a tough day.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruce292 View Post
We all have tough days and yes they can be difficult! Think about how you'll feel in the morning when you wake up WITHOUT a hangover. There are also posts with long lists of things to do to get through a tough day.
I'll feel great and rested . I love the signature quote btw. The universe is an amazing mystery.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some days are better than others. The important thing is to have a plan of action for the tough days. Sounds like you made the right decision, Sharpy!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Lock yourself in a room where they're holding an AA meeting.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you aren't an AA, is there someone that you know who is sober who you can call on?

Get together with someone, go to a movie, go shopping, go out to eat. Soon the craving will be gone, and this will be another success that you can look back on in the future.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find it better to shoot the AV the minute he pops in for a chat, rather than entertain the thought of drinking again. When I think about it I start to rationalize how "just one or two" would be manageable, lol.

He's full of bullet holes but still comes around once in a while, bang-bang.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hear you, Sharpy. I really like the suggestions about doing something. I've even heard people talk about cleaning drawers, folding laundry, doing the dishes. . .anything to let the craving pass and occupy the mind. You can do it. We all experience this.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sharpy, I'm glad that you came here. This place has been the difference between me picking up and not picking up many times.

You know that this will pass as much as it sucks right now.

We're here!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you guys.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So how are you today? Hope things are looking up.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made it through. Today was rough as well. im hhaving trouble sleeping. But all is ok! Thanks for checking back.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sharpy, just to add a little to something Malcolm pointed to: how some people do stuff such as doing the dishes, cleaning, etc etc. It occurred to me in this regard that it could help you to certainly 'do something ....to occupy the mind' (not that housework type things occupy MY mind very productively!), but to 'do things' which are NOT associated with your previous ways of drinking.

For example, I've been an almost-exclusively At Home drinker in the last worst years of my drinking, as well as at nights and on weekends when I was working. So for me, I actually need to get out of the house weather permitting for that reason - even vacuuming, gardening, dishes, everything...I did with a wine glass to hand, constantly being topped up.

Others tended more to do their drinking out and about in pubs, bars, restaurants, concerts, etc etc.

It might help if you identify your own 'place' and 'activity' associations with booze, and when cravings strike, therefore do something quite different. Sort of like applying an antidote, i.e. something quite opposite.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Makes complete sense. I can relate to you because near the end I drank mostly at home. It made doing chores fun... I like going to the mall with my son and walking around. Don't really buy anything but it gets me out... Thanks for the post
Old 12-08-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Also bike riding.. That's my favorite. I hope for my long 10 mile ride and come home feeling great! Wish I had more time to do that. I'm still trying to juggle family life with the little one.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My final shot at sobriety, I decided that I will never again listen to my AV. And I haven't. When it would try to speak up, I would say, "Not listening to you. I do NOT drink. Go away." And SLAM that conversation down. By not getting involved in the argument, at all, the AV got weaker and weaker, and now I never hear it. You will have peace, just outta ignore the AV for a while.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sharpy, over 30 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Please do as others have recommended, go to a movie, AA, or call someone, and if you can't just suffer through the cravings, urges and temptations, it's all you can do. I did and I'm 3 years 6 months sober tomorrow. Rootin for ya.