Notices

Seeing others relapse

Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing others relapse

it's always sad. but i'm living in a recovery home i have almost 2 months, and two girls relapsed last night. a few of them went to a movie, i went on my own to a wandering women's meeting (so empowering!) and i met up with a girl i went to treatment with, it was awesome reuniting. two girls (one who i had also went to treatment with and got close to - happy she was my new roommate here!) relapsed at the movies. i guess they all went to walgreens beforehand and the two snuck off. i was surprised because it was a group of them and this happened. they had to call an ambulance for one of them because she was pissing on herself with her pants down, and puking on herself. it really killed my mood. it's the worst feeling to be kicked out of a recovery home or halfway house (been there 3 times) especially at night.. and in the cold.. so humiliating and depressing. but the whole situation made me want my sobriety even more. prayers to them.. <3
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a good person Theysay, when someone can see the sadness in someone else, feel compassion for them, and still keep it in perspective for keeping themselves on the path of what's best for themselves.

You are a good person Theysayimcrazy.

I'm sorry about the girls. I'm happy you are doing what you need to do. ((Hug))
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've seen this happen a lot over the past two months (even ambulance scenarios unfortunately). It's tough because you want to be supportive but at the same time it can really jeopardize your sobriety. It's like dominos....

I try to do what I can but if I start to feel squeamish at all I step away. Sometimes a simple text is needed to share that I am not able to help anymore at this point and ask them to call their sponsor for support. YOUR sobriety is the most important and you have to take care of yourself.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is hard. A friend of mine recently relapsed. I immediately felt guilty. Maybe I should have or could have been a better friend.

Then my sponsor pointed out that she made a choice. She has the same circle of friends I do, she has a sponsor, she has the tools. She chose not to use them. Sometimes all we can do is pray for the ones that still suffer. We can be there but if they do not reach out, there is not much we can do but be there for them when they return.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We are all on our own journey, though we travel together. I try to believe that each person is right where they should be. I'm sorry you had to see that happen. Stay strong!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately this is the reality of the recovery community. Last night a friend had her last relapse and now she is dead. She is friend number 3 to not make it.

As sad as it is it strengthens the sobriety of those who knew her.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am always sad when I hear when someone has relapsed. I well remember how I felt when it happened to me.

Part of recovery for me is becoming more compassionate and empathic to other people and their situations. I would also never be so arrogant to think that it wouldn't happen to me. I will always be one sip away from going down that hill again.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry this happened to your housemate.

When you look at the recovery stats for alcoholics, it's pretty scary ( at least in my opinion). I think it means that we have to work very hard to get sober and recover. We can't get complacent.

I totally understand why you are sad. Take are of yourself tonight.