Notices

Perfect evening for....

Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perfect evening for....

A nice glass if vodka. Crappy weather, long and hard work week and wife is sick so she'll be going to bed early. I can just have some vodka and play video games for a while to wind down. I've gone 6 days without so I don't have a problem right? Just one small 200ml bottle isnt too bad. Ughhh....but I know that drink will lead to days and days of more drinking. But what a perfect evening for a drink....
Old 12-06-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

On this coldest night in the last three years, I'm drinking seltzer water with lime. I love it because I can drink it all night. Sometimes, I even have some in the morning.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi MightyFlea. I used to fantasize about having one or two - until I realized there was no such thing for me. Trying to moderate took me down. I'm glad you're aware of how the evening would likely end. Not worth it!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm having a tasty cup of peppermint tea... The cons of those days and days of Vodka drinking have cast a lengthy shadow on the pros... Hang in another day
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there! I have been enjoying hot chocolate with tons of marshmallows every night! Not so great for the waistline i'm sure, but when i wake in the morning i wont be asking my husband "btw what happened last night?".
Old 12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

waking up sober tomorrow is a perfect way to wake up and start the day

D
Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Perfect evening for staying sober. Then you wake up feeling good instead of crappy.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I'm having a lime and soda
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wish I was normal and could just have a nice dirty martini, relax and enjoy the evening. But one martini usually turns to three or four and then let me just finish that bottle of wine sitting around. Also wish I could stop obsessing about a drink.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

6 days is awesome...but it's still early days - you won't always be missing the drink like this - it gets better...

we learn to build new sober lives that help fill the void drinking has left.

There's a ton of support here - I really encourage you to use it whenever you need it MightyFlea

D
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found that you can still play the video games. it is no where near as satisfying, but then again, was it anything other than a way to spend your time? play them sober and find out for yourself. When you wake up in the morning sober, the same time will have been spent, but you won't be regretting/wondering why you drank last night.

I have been playing Skyrim and Simcity lately, sober. It is still fun, and sure does distract me from wanting a drink and really makes time fly
Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Crappy weather is a perfect night for tea, coffee or hot chocolate... a bath.. a book...and a good night's sleep with the promise of waking up refreshed.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone's support here, I made it through the evening completely dry. And this morning? Didn't have to wonder if my wife is going to be mad at me about something or not. Much better feeling than a buzz! You're all the best!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me getting passed a few tempting hours at a time was a big achievement!
Well done Mighty Flea
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Getting drunk and playing video games sounds....absolutely awful. Hopefully once you achieve more sober time, you'll realize what a terrible hold this addiction has on you. You are not alone. I used to get drunk on Saturday mornings and start gambling on football games. A return to that lifestyle sounded comforting and exciting in my early days of sobriety, I couldn't wait to get back at it.

But then I realized I also had to stop checking the daily betting lines, just like I had to stop checking my fridge for vodka. Gambling went hand-in-hand with drinking, and vice versa. Now that you're putting down the booze, how about you also put down the controller? I know it's hard, but sometimes these bad habits can't be separated. There is a world to explore outside of your apartment. I know, it's cold. Get online and read about North Korea or watch a video about the Amazon River or something. Start putting useful information in your head, man!

Good luck and congrats on these six days. I know how hard these weekends can be, but you can do it.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been having Chamomile tea (someone here suggested it) and when it's nice and hot it has such a nice warm sensation, almost like a slug of booze. But I can have as much as I want, not feel guilty, and wake up feeling great, like you did. Congrats!

I think Hevyn used a key word, "fantasy." When we play the tape of what will transpire after the first drink, "fantasies" are exactly what we have. Again, good job!