Notices

Wrong Focus???

Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wrong Focus???

So I have been battling with alcohol for years now. Its all good then its completely all bad. I have had a few very hard years recently but feel like I am coming out of that. I have been on anti-depressants now for a few years too. I recently started cutting again and just woke up yesterday and looked at my arm - I don't want to do this. I started thinking "why do I do this"??? Over the years I have been blaming alcohol, but yesterday when I woke up I thought, yes alcohol is a factor, but what if its not the root of my problem. What if I focus on my depression and the times I use alcohol as a crutch. This spawned into a lot of self reflection. Now Im not saying I dont have an issue with alcohol but I am questioning if there is something deeper I need to tackle. After this realization I've actually been feeling better inside. I decided to cut out my main/major vice - the one that I have no filter with and brings out my full depression, red wine. I am not going to drink that. Also staying away from had liquors. I cant remember that last time I actually got drunk on beer because I just get full and it doesn't fill that void deep inside me that redwine does. So I am cutting that out, cutting down drinking all together and finally admitting I have depression. This is a vent and I thank anyone who got this far. For me, starting with cutting out red wine is huge. Looking and admitting Im depressed is as well. I hope this helps me to over come my crutches and addiction problems. Its a step at least and i feel better so far.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you consulted with a therapist and
doctor about your depression or chemical
imbalance withing your own body?

A theraphist can help sort out things
deep down inside you that could be
a cause for cutting or looking for
something that you want to use
to numb the emotional difficulties
you could be struggling with.

Just a few thoughts I had after reading
your post.

There is a healthier solution to solving
all our problems whether it be physical,
emotional, physcological problems with
deal with on a daily bases.

You, like all of us deserve to be happy,
healthy and content in life. Right?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by copperfield View Post

I recently started cutting again and just woke up yesterday and looked at my arm - I don't want to do this.

cutting down drinking all together and finally admitting I have depression

Its a step at least and i feel better so far.
so nice to have you here on site

we are all here to support you

you can do this thing -- One Day At A Time

I know from my past experience

mixing booze with anti-depressants (pills)

can be very rough on ones mind and body ----- and ----- soul

from

Mountainman Bob
Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcohol is known to cause depression and is known to cause problems with antidepressants. Until alcohol is removed from the equation it is impossible to tell what problems you do or do not have.

I like the analogy of using bad gas in a car. The car may have problems but until the gas is fixed it is impossible to tell what they are.

I would suggest quitting drinking for 6 months and see what problems fix themselves and which ones need to be treated
Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments. I have seen a therapist but it was through aid as therapy is so expensive that I could only get in once every 3 weeks or so. I am looking into starting it again but properly this time. I agree too that alcohol is bad gas as you said MIRecovery but I've tried to quit it all at once and I havent succeeded. Taking red wine out of the picture for me though makes me feel like this is a huge step in a good direction. I am going to commit to this.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done you!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am sorry to say buying bad gas at a different station is not a viable solution. I know only too well that the thought of not drinking is scarey stuff but it is the only solution. There are multiple ways but AA worked for me
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back copperfield

I really believe that tackling any underlying issues behind our drinking can help - but only if we tackle the alcoholism that grew from that too.

Not drinking red wine is great - but all alcohol can have the same depressive, demotivating, apathy inducing effect....

in my experience, as long as you drink, no matter what else you do, nothing much is likely to change....

D
Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also agree that working on the issues that lead us to addiction is necessary for recovery. I hope you can continue with your therapy.