Notices

Depressed

Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Depressed

I can not get a hand on this, why I am feeling this way this morning all I want to do is cry. have not been sleeping well at all. talked to my doctor about this he dose not want to put me on anything, due to my body dose not react well with any kind of meds.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This to shall pass, I try to think of the positive steps I have made when feeling down!

always helps for me
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery can be pretty up and down Tabbj - we put our mind and bodies through the wringer as drinkers.

It took me 30 days or so to find my new normal, and maybe 60 days or more for that normal to stabilise...stick with it

lean on us for support

D
Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

We drinkers are accustomed to instant gratification - that alcohol works in minutes. Our natural body and brain processes take longer to rebalance.

Anxiety and sadness are very common in early sobriety. Hang tough for a couple of weeks and you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do everything in your power to see the good in all situations. I totally understand how you just want to be stagnant and curl into a ball, but you really need to do something! Go for a walk, to the gym, go to the library and browse magazines or do a puzzle, call a friend, clean, or one of my favorites, DANCE!

It takes time, but you can get out of this.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tabbj. Does the feeling get better as the day goes on? I wake up most mornings feeling horribly depressed. Like "is this all there is?" Restless, irritable and discontent. I am working on figuring out whether it is new sobriety, the weather or a combo of both. But it goes away or gets better to manage once the day gets going and I get more active.

The key for me is realizing that it will pass and that I have to get moving. Eating something helps too. You aren't alone. Hang in there.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Do you live in the Northern Hemisphere? This time of year, with it's short days, the Sun lower in the sky brings on depression for many people, or at least saps them of energy.

If you have noticed your mood plummeting with the Sun, there are some natural things that can help your mood. If the depression is debilitating or you are feeling you might harm yourself, don't discount meds, but if it clearly came on during Autumn, I think you might want to google seasonal affective disorder and see if that applies to you and to incorporate some of the suggested practices in your life.

Even if it is seasonal affective disorder, and we know it will pass, we sometimes still need assistance staying functional during the winter months. Hugs.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tabbj, I'm sorry that you're feeling so down, but as others have said, try to do something today that will make you feel as if you're taking action in your life.

Music always helps me, too.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have anxiety and depression too, TabbJ. As the others said, get out there and do something. I sometimes have to force myself, but I always feel better after I do!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have 3yrs coming Christmas Eve, am not too new to Sobriety. I have down before but not this bad. I do work everyday I even changed jobs to have more time with family . I get out and do things.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you should consider seeing a Dr, Tabby?

D
Old 12-07-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have and we talked, my body doesn't react well with meds of any sort. so he is very hesitant to put me on anything. I have a hard time taking aspirin for headaches.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tabbj: I also had issues with anxiety and depression after stopping drinking. I contribute it to the isolation I felt when I stopped drinking, the stress of constantly being "on-guard" about relapse, and the repairs my body was trying to from all the years of alcohol damage. The isolation and stress of relapse got better but the damage to my body did not. Turns out I was severely anemic and vitamin/mineral deficient but I had to demand blood tests. Once diagnosed, and supplements were added, I felt better.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Tabbj;
I had similar issues with meds and researched diet and exercise when I quit drinking.
I do a form of paleo eating which is high fat and protein, low carbs
but I eat lots and lots of veggies. Just no grain or bread.
I also do a little exercise following Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint guidelines.
(no chronic cardio, lift heavy things, take time to play) and it did wonders for my mood.

Last year I added in yoga and a hobby I had always wanted to do to replace drinking time, and that seems to be the ticket to peace for me.
I am no longer depressed nor craving alcohol.
It took time, and everyone has their own version, but absolutely it is worth working and trying various things to see what makes you feel better.

Be sure to give it adequate time. Your body takes time to adjust to any changes.
A few weeks or months is just a break in time for hormone adjustment, etc. so if you
don't see immediate results, do not give up.
I lost 30 pounds and gained muscle so dropped four sizes to my high school measurement
which was a very nice bonus, but the mood thing was the real focus for me.

It feels good to feel good. I did have to do the research and stick to the program,
but it is really becoming a life worth living and I no longer need the booze to numb
the pain and boredom. I wish you the best.