Notices

does this anxiety ever go away?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question does this anxiety ever go away?

Hi,
I'm new to all this, talking about my addiction and being sober.
Ive only been sober for 16 days now, I thought I was in control of my drinking, able to have a night off here and there, then one bottle of wine wasn't enough so i'd have 2 some nights, or try to exercise discipline and only have 2/3 glasses, all the while trying to reason with myself that I was still in control.

That all came to a head 2 weeks ago, when I woke up (after half a bottle of vodka) with pain in my abdomen that didn't go away, I was so scared I had done some serious damage to myself I decided to face the fact that I have a problem and I don't want to live like this anymore.

The last 2 weeks for me have been full of Dr appoinments, Hospital trips, ultrasounds, bloodtests and a full CT scan today. They found what they believe to be a small haemangioma(benign tumor) in my Liver, which they say is a very common birth defect and can cause pain.

The Drs don't seem concerned, but my anxiety is through the roof! I have been a mess for the last 2 weeks and its not just about my health, I am panicky, have had a couple of full panic attacks, irrational fears are taking over my mind and even when i'm not thinking about anything in particular I feel sick and anxious like something bad is going to happen to me, my husband or my children. I'm finding even doing my house work is an effort and I normally keep my house spotless.

Has anyone else been through this anxiety/depression? does it go away?
I would love to here your stories or experiences.

Thanks
Ange
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SoberRecovery!

Short answer: Yes.

Somewhat longer answer: The human brain attempts to counter the constant flood of drug-induced happiness excessive alcohol consumption creates by producing more anxiety-related chemicals. (This is known as resetting your hedonic set point if you'd like to google for more information.) Everyone is different, but on average it takes about 90 days of being clean for the hedonic set point to return to it's natural state.

There's a great documentary called Pleasure Unwoven that covers this. I think you can get it on youtube, but it's in multiple parts. Definitely worth watching.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, good to know there is hope. I will definitely check it out.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Hi Ange! And welcome.

I know it feels like a lifetime at the moment but 16 days you're very early on in your recovery.

YES the anxiety will go you just need to keep doing what you're doing. It took you a lot longer to get into the position you're in now, so you can't hope to get well overnight.

All that said, every day we manage to keep away drinking again is a HUGE achievement so you should be well chuffed with your success!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, unfortunately it takes TIME and as an addictive person I want what I want and I want it NOW. Patience my friend that is what I needed to learn first and than to let things come to me not get all wrapped up in worry and regrets.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I relate to what you're going through. My health caused me great anxiety when I was drinking. It's such a paradox - we knowingly do so much damage to ourselves when drinking, while simultaneously fearing for our health.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support, I will keep my chin up and try not to let the anxiety consume me!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Ange4 View Post
Thanks for all the support, I will keep my chin up and try not to let the anxiety consume me!
Originally Posted by What Ange4 REALLY means
Thanks for all the support, I will keep my chin up and not let the anxiety consume me!
The power of positive thinking can be a great benefit.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on a very mild anti-depressant and my anxiety is completely gone. I'm sure others will disagree, but I don't care... if you need a bit of help with a prescription, find a doctor who will listen to you and help. A mild prescription is obviously much better than a relapse in alcohol. I cannot imagine waiting 90 days for anxiety to disappear. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The anxiety only gets better, the longer you stay sober. This is the most difficult time, so stay focused on your end goal!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I may be different because I have generalized anxiety disorder, but I drank to self-medicate my anxiety. Stopping drinking helped my anxiety immensely, but it definitely takes a few weeks before I feel "normal." My biggest challenge in sobriety is learning to feel my anxiety and sit with it when it happens without medicating.

The point is, ride it out. Most alcoholics aren't used to dealing with our feelings because we have avoided them by drinking. You will get better at it, and as the others have said, the anxiety will improve over time.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I am seeing a psychologist on Monday so I just have to get through the weekend, todays plans are to do the housework and watch a movie with my 3 beautiful children and to try not to think about the feeling of impending doom in my stomach.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It will get better, just ride with it, knowing there will be a good outcome. Good luck xxx
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ange4
Our bodies and brains
go through many changes
after putting down the drink.
For me the anxiety and depression
peaked and abated after a month.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Ange, I'm 16 days too! I've been through--and still working through for sure--tons of strange stuff. I've never had a panic attack in my life until last week. I had to pull the car over, thought my heart was going to explode, started sweating, felt like the world was shrinking in on me, started thinking about what my kids were going to do without a dad, thought I was croaking right there at a stop light. I pulled over and walked a bit until I felt okay to drive. And like I said, I've never had a panic attack until I stopped drinking. And sometimes within one day, I'll go from euphoric to heavy, sluggish, void of motivation--basically depressed. So, I just wanted to convey that, some of the anxiety and depression does come with the territory. However, as many here confirm, always see your doc. if things get too scary or if you have significant worries. Stay strong, stay positive.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
I relate to what you're going through. My health caused me great anxiety when I was drinking. It's such a paradox - we knowingly do so much damage to ourselves when drinking, while simultaneously fearing for our health.
This was so true for me. The depression and fear I had of just going to the doctor knowing what I was doing to myself every night was awful. Finally had some not so serious cardiac issues and decided enough was enough. Hope I never drink again, had some close calls but so far my resolve is strong and feeling healthy is such a gift. Don't ever want to go back.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ange, my anxiety was through the roof when I stopped drinking. I could barely function at times with the irrational fears running through my mind. I have never forgotten those days, but I can assure you, it will get better. And, you don't have to go through this again.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much, the support means so much to me, it is such a relief to know that this is normal and that i'm not going crazy.
I haven't cried today and I thank you all for that, knowing that other people understand is helping to ease it a little.