Notices

Fighting the Good Fight

Old 12-05-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fighting the Good Fight

Hi, friends. I've got a drinking problem and need help and support. I've read some posts a couple of months ago but I feel I should start submitting. Right now I am really scared, like I often do when the withdrawals get bad, and have no clue where to start. I don't drink every day but when I do its a real bender. Thank you for your time and assistance.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SingleDad

If you're concerned at all about how you're feeling, the first thing to do is see a Dr.
Detox can sometimes be a problem for some of us.

I'm glad you've started posting - you'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply! I'd have to go to the hospital and as I am self-employed I'm still working on getting health insurance. Plus my folks are outta town and I have no one to watch my kiddo. I've spoken with several experts and other recovering addicts when I feel like this and I am not suffering from any DTs; my symptoms are moderate but still suck. I am going to register with a health care provider next week and will take advantage of all they can offer me.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. I'm glad you've joined us. Read around, there's lots of good info here and lots of support.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Best of luck x
Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support, least. You too, KateL! I am very glad to be here amongst so many kind, caring people.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey SingleDad, Went thru the same thing a few weeks ago and was pretty sick and shaky for a few days and it took close to a week before I started sleeping better. All I know is I feel a lot better now and you will too. Stick it out and you'll be glad you did. The hardest part for me is after enough time goes by I forget just how sick I made myself and start thinking I can drink in moderation and I know I can't. It's the alcohol talking. Well good luck, this is a good place for support.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well said and thanks, zeppodog. That is one thing I keep telling myself but excuse by some false sense of control. "I can drink as long as it's not this much." Once again, here I am. During my reading I came across rationalization and the "booze brain" and that darn thing, the booze brain, has been exploiting that weakness. I keep reminding myself "one drink equals drunk and drunk equals hellish withdrawal." Is there a way of amending this philosophy or altering it for future benefit?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think you are recognizing your AV (Addict Voice) and that it's out to get you. It will convince you that you can moderate or control your drinking, even though you know you cannot. Just recognize it for what it is and let it go.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna. I've come to realize there is no bargaining when it comes to drinking. Just don't do it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SingleDad421 View Post
Well said and thanks, zeppodog. That is one thing I keep telling myself but excuse by some false sense of control. "I can drink as long as it's not this much." Once again, here I am. During my reading I came across rationalization and the "booze brain" and that darn thing, the booze brain, has been exploiting that weakness. I keep reminding myself "one drink equals drunk and drunk equals hellish withdrawal." Is there a way of amending this philosophy or altering it for future benefit?
First off welcome! When you need to talk things out, come here and at least give it a shot.

Two things have been working for me as far as that voice that lies to us goes.

1. One drink is too much, and 1,000 is never enough.

2. Play the tape out. We can't help but romanticize the first drink, but play the night out and see where you will end up, and then how you will feel about it in the morning. A wise one here once said, "no one has ever woken up in the morning and thought, Gee. I sure wish I would have gotten drunk last night."

Good luck to you sir. Remember we are all in this together and there are a LOT of people here who will carry you thru this.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome SD421, nice to meet you. You've come to the right place. Keep posting
Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
A wise one here once said, "no one has ever woken up in the morning and thought, Gee. I sure wish I would have gotten drunk last night."
It's funny because it's true! I've woken up some mornings so glad to be sober and not fighting a hangover. I am doing my best to remember these sensations to motivate me in the future but easier said than done. Thanks for the input.

Also, thank you Sharpy for the kind welcome. I am so grateful for everyone's support.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I sent myself emails the first few nights as I was going thru them. Whenever My mind is thinking I could drink again, I read where I was at that very first night. I even sent a few the nights leading up to before I quit when I was drunk, just to see where a beer will lead me. maybe not the first night, maybe not the second, but soon i would be right back where I was, wishing I was where I am now.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good advice and thanks again. I wrote myself a message back in Sept when I got on the wagon and I keep it on the garage door. I think that is also why I am doing this, instead of just reading something by someone else I can sit down and remind myself that this is something I really want and need to do. I was going to write myself another note tonight but thought this would be a better choice. This way I get the feedback and support I need from others. It means a lot to me.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I lean on this site a lot, but writing to myself where I can read it the next day helped me a lot too. I have learned that even tho tonight I may be in a bad place, struggling, moody, sad, whatever... When I wake up the next day and get going I want to forget. But I can't forget. As soon as I forget, I will relapse.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is free and is a fantasic support network
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I guess we need to stick with what works. I have read some pretty insightful stuff and think I will be on here a lot, too. Compared to the alternative I think substituting a new chat/board addiction can't be a bad thing.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, MIRecovery! I use AA sometimes and maybe I should go more. There are some really nice groups that even have child care.