Notices

The battle may be lost but the war is NOT unwinnable!!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The battle may be lost but the war is NOT unwinnable!!

Hey all, 20 Days without a drink today, I always find it almost cringeworthy announcing a number of days, some have been sober for nearly 20 years and here’s me with my 20 Days, I know I know, I’m being really stupid and I need to be patient and not wish my years away, but still if jealousy is my only fault these days, then I'm not doing too bad!

Since my last post, I attended a few more Ice Hockey games, the Elite League in the UK is one of my favourite hobbies, the Belfast Giants being my team, though it was always something I needed to drink at, though to be fair some of the guys I usually go to the games with have been fantastic, but it wasn’t easy saying the other week, “I’m not drinking tonight”, I even had a few of the lads stick up for me when another regular at the games tried to force the issue and buy me a drink, I guess it’s true that you find out who your real friends are, a few told the guy on my behalf. “he’s not drinking tonight, just accept it”, those 2 mates will be on my xmas card list for ever after that lol, I was that grateful that I bought the next round, cranberry juice and ice was what I drank all night!!

In 20 days I’ve seen some great benefits, I became sober due to health reasons, or rather the fear for my health and life, I have since lost some weight, (a girl at work even commented this week "have you lost weight?"), am sleeping soundly at night, despite the odd mental dream, anyone worried about dreams I can share that I have been shot, stabbed, sacked from my job, got blind drunk, been in a hostage situation and even was buried alive one night, it’s the best cinema in the world lol!!

Anyways, before everyone gets bored, all the newcomers to the forum reading this, don’t be afraid to post, create that accountability with the people that are here, that care for you, and as the title of my thread suggests, a slip is only a lost battle but there are many battles needed to win the war.

I could only of got this far with the SR community!!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days, Purpeknight. I know what you mean, about posting 20 days when we have some serious veterans on SR. I often feel the same way, but I think it's okay to share and be proud of our accomplishments, whether its a day, week, month or year. Keep up the good work. Onward!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days! I'm working on 5... so 20 sounds like forever to me. I can't tell you how many years its been since I've gone that long. Hopefully I'll be there in 15 though!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was once told that the first 30 or 60 days of sobriety feels longer then the 10 years of sobriety after those days. Those first couple of months are pure he!! and I give huge props to anyone that is going through them. I have 7 months, so no where near 20 years but still a huge accomplishment for me as 20 days is probably for you.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Contrary to how you may feel, 20 days is a really big deal to someone like me. There was a time when I couldn't get 12 hours. I drank every single day for years. So do not feel bashful about your accomplishment. The days will pile on until it's too much trouble to even keep track of them. Just keep on track and don't let your guard down.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on twenty days sober!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember how it felt to me to reach 20 days. It was a miracle

congratulations PK - never feel unworthy to share and achievement here..you have a right to be pleased - and it just might help someone else

D
Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Purple Knight! Your enthusiasm is contagious!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be very proud of yourself and your 20 sober days.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Atta way, PK! Congratulations on Day 20. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post!!!! Congrats!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We're almost sober twinsies! I have 21 days today!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Hey all, 20 Days without a drink today, I always find it almost cringeworthy announcing a number of days, some have been sober for nearly 20 years and here’s me with my 20 Days, I know I know, I’m being really stupid and I need to be patient and not wish my years away, but still if jealousy is my only fault these days, then I'm not doing too bad!
Hi purpleknight, congratulations on 20 days!

You may have 20 days and some people have 20 years but you know what? Every single day that you've spent sober is just as equally important as any single day that anyone else has spent sober regardless of the length of time.

There are no negatives
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go on twenty days! That's awesome.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome job on 20 days! I stopped tracking days but I'm somewhere in the 30s. I slipped a few times since I started in early September and you are right, a slip is just that. If it happens you have to get right back up and back to sobriety. It's not an easy fight but it's one definitely worth fighting. Thanks for sharing your experience on your 20 days so far! May there be many more!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

20 days to me when I got sober seemed like 2000 years!! The months start to meld together after about 6 months (my experience) but leading up to that every single hour of everyday was a HUGE accomplishment.

No one in the world understands this concept except us alcoholics and addicts. Congrats from someone who totally gets it and applauds you for hanging in there and fighting for your life!! You are worth it and I'm proud of you
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah, well done PK...many of us are trying so hard to get off [not-so] merry go round of starting over, time and time again. I'm only on day 6 for the nth time!

Keep it rockin'!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Congrats on 20 days!!!