Notices

Headed back to work tonight...

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headed back to work tonight...

Made it to day 4. Feeling pretty good except for a few physical symptoms. The thing is, I'm a bartender. This job is temporary because my husband just took a job in Portland, OR and we're moving. He leaves on Dec 14 and I won't be going over until January. I can't quit my job because I will need the money until he gets a few checks saved up to pay for the rest of the move. My "episode" on Sunday was in the bar I work in. I have apologized to my boss for my behavior and let her know I have a plan to stay sober. I don't feel scared, but I think I should be. Am I being a bit too complacent?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I've worked in bars both when drinking and sober. When I made the decision to become sober, working in bars didn't affect me at all. But we are all different. If you can think you can hack it and need the job, then perhaps you could. I know people will disagree with me, but I can only say it from my experience.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by cc64 View Post
I have apologized to my boss for my behavior and let her know I have a plan to stay sober.
Wonderful. What's your plan?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's hoping you can stay sober.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my plan is to stay in these rooms. I started a journal and I'm writing down how I feel about what I've done and to write down goals about how to stay healthy; ie: drink water, eat better. I take medication for bi polar disorder and I organized it all in a manner so that I do not forget to take them. ( I didn't take my meds on Sunday, the day of my last "episode") As far as long term goals, well, haven't quite got there because I'm just trying to stay focused on one day at a time. I know if I get ahead of myself, I will get overwhelmed which will lead to a relapse. It might not be much, but it's what I have going for now
Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Just my 2 cents
You don't sound complacent today , actually you sound mindful. And just as a reminder , not that I think you need it, but especially in the early goings my emotions were more sensitive than normal ( and I'm a guy). If people can make you upset or get under your skin easy, it will probably be worse at work , at least right now, just something to be mindful of. Life happens and we do what we have to do, but we are in control of ourselves. You got this
wish you well
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by cc64 View Post
I know if I get ahead of myself, I will get overwhelmed which will lead to a relapse. It might not be much, but it's what I have going for now
That's fine. I was just trying to separate intent (I plan to stay sober) from action (I have a plan to keep me from drinking when things get tough).

Sounds to me like you know that "action" is a component of recovery.