Notices

Alone on xmas

Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone on xmas

So I have decided to stay away from my family this xmas because I know it will lead to relapse. My meetings are helping and I am going to start calling people more. I am only 25 days sober but I have the courage to do everything necessary to change my life.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure there'll be a lot of AA things on if you want company Ach.
Hope it'll be a great Xmas for you

D
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good move, Ach.
Dee's right about AA at Christmas. I know you're in the States (kinda like AA Central really), so I guess it's the same as here - but my health permitting, I hope to go into the city for the yearly Big Christmas Lunch bash that Central Office put on. Apparently around 150-200 show up, so us 'alone at Christmas' types are clearly not the only ones.

Do check it out for your area.

and PS: don't let the prospect of big numbers alarm you. You don't have to talk to all of 'em. I find big crowds damned difficult - many of us do. But I reckon each of us WILL find someone we can chat to while stuffing our faces, eh?
x
Vic
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, and Ach? - may I gently suggest that you DROP THE 'ONLY' [x days sober]!!!

It's a bit like when us women said - especially in the past - 'oh, I'm ONLY a housewife / stay at home Mum'. Bollocks.

Minimising our achievements is one of the millions of things that can easily send us back to drink.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
There is tons of AA stuff going on for Christmas and New Years. I'm not even Christian, but I'm spending christmas at my friends house with other sober people. If you keep calling people and forming those relationships, you'll find out what everyone else is doing.

Do you stay after meetings and talk with people? That's been the best way for me to make plans with people when everyone is around. And start asking around at your home group too.

The only thing stopping you from being alone on Christmas is yourself.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will be worth it! I think I might have suggested this in another thread but Xmas is a great day to spend at the movies. They're always open (usually busy!) and it's a chance to enjoy a day that you would have spent moping around feeling lonely.

On Xmas I'm gonna have to hang out with my family but I will be sneaking off as soon as it's acceptable to see a movie!