Notices

just got out of detox in a local hospital...

Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. It is possible to stop drinking when it's all around you, it just takes effort. You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. When I got to that point I was able to stop drinking.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I also had a grand mal, in fact I had 3 of them before I finally went to detox. How crazy, huh? I followed up with treatment and a humble and inexpensive public center, and have been alcohol free for the last 1.5 years. It's been fantastic.

You need to make this a wake up call, pal. You can't keep going like this - or you will be just like me, having grand mal after grand mal. Do you know how this movie ends? You will not improve, you will only keep getting sicker and sicker. If you're having seizures, there are likely other parts of your body that are not functioning well either...at least that was my experience.

People use the term "slowly killing yourself". I dont' think it happens that slowly at all. We deteriorate fast. This is bad news man, get yourself together. Get a plan. Get help. You simply have to be done with this stuff, it's getting life-and-death style now.

As for this "world's biggest drinking city" that you call home...where do you live? Los Angeles? New York? Chicago? Milwaukee? Boston? Miami? Dallas? Denver? Green Bay? New Orleans? Seattle?

See what I'm saying here? ALL cities are drinking cities, bro. Get used to it. It's going to be around you no matter what, there are no alcohol-free places to live here, and there are always drunks to be found. What you need to do now is STAY AWAY from them. And get a plan together and stick close to some kind of recovery outlet. Maybe that's treatment, maybe that's AA, maybe it's here on SR. But you have to take control here. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm only on my 4th week of sobriety so I'm no expert but I know getting thru the first few days can be real hard. You have to hang in there and change the people and places that influence your drinking. I don't care where you live, not everybody drinks. Maybe outpatient treatment, AA or some other support group. I sat reading SR for hours to get my mind off how bad I felt. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
As someone who had a horrible detox in the hospital, I feel you, I really do.

You said you live in a town full of drunks and everyone you know drinks, but there's an AA meeting down the street full of people who 1) don't drink, and 2) have found a way of life where they can do social things together without alcohol.

So why suffer alone? At least check it out so you're not sitting by yourself all up in your head. Worst case scenario, you sit there for an hour without drinking among others who are not drinking. It's kind of a win-win scenario. You just need to take that first step through the door.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you phyrne. You already have good advice - I'll just say I'm glad you found us & I'm happy you're here. I hope being with us helps relieve your anxiety & gives you the encouragement you need. Alcohol ran my life once - it is wonderful to be free. You can do this!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by phyrne View Post
I don't know what SMART or Lifering are. there IS an AA meeting right down the street from my house...but I'm kind of scared to go.
The only way to get unscared is to just go. It can make a world of difference and, given your history, might save your life.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Phyrne,
AA is great, I only used it short term for the face to face support. I came here first. I also checked myself into a hospital detox program. When I got out there was no way I was ever getting trapped by my own hand in drunkenness again. You willing to do whatever it takes? If so then go to that AA meeting and keep going until you don't need them anymore. Get into counseling, one on one or group. If there was a follow on 28 day rehab that you declined go now. Read Rational recovery for the techniques and AVRT. But do disregard any slurs on other methods. As Dee an Anna already said look into SMART, I read everything they had online in pdf format. Check out lifering, and anything else you can get into or read.

If that sounds like too much work, that is what it takes for us alcoholics. I did not need to learn how to live without alcohol, I already was the only drinker in my group of non-drinking friends. I stopped hanging around my old drinking buddies past their first couple of beers. They get to talking like everyone else is deaf, and don't realize when anybody else is talking, let alone comprehend what they are saying.

In short, if you are struggling you aren't alone. We are here who have struggled down that same road. We survived.

Do whatever it takes. Time to stop getting ready, and start getting to it. We all need support, and role models to help us get over the first few months, when the thirst eases some, and we can then start our real recovery, and heal.

Do it all, and drop each or all when you don't need one or all to maintain your sobriety. I no longer live sober. I just live. No alcohol, still know where that will lead. But I never think about it anymore. Don't want or need it. I am not deprived, I just will survive.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
OK, Let me recap. You have had grand mal seizures, have been hospitalized for an alcohol related condition, and, upon release you cannot stop thinking about taking a drink.

Yet its an AA meeting that scares you?

Let me suggest that your fears are misplaced.
everyone is scared of something irrational..i think.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I only used AA short term but the camaraderie definitely gave me the kick start I needed. I am always around drinkers and have never really changed my environment because that would have been a bit difficult. It is really hard at first, but after a while it just gets easier. I would have never believed it possible a few years ago. I am still around drink but it doesn't bother me at all now. Put yourself first and do what is best for you but it sounds like you need some sort of support network and there are plenty out there.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey PHYRME
You don't have to drink again it's simply not inevitable.I needed to occupy myself with my recovery, i could not think or read myself sober. Change appears to be key to long term sobriety as well as a willingness to take heed of others and act on their advice. i use AA, SR, HP, as bedrocks. I don't use pubs, hang out with drinkers or close my mind to any suggestions from sober people.
Good luck.
You can do this and it does get easier and better.
Ring the changes!
G
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by phyrne View Post
everyone is scared of something irrational..i think.
I do not use AA as my primary means of staying sober, but I go to meetings from time to time. There are few things more comforting to me than being around other people who understand this horrible relationship with alcohol.

If you live in a big city you might have options for other groups. Peer support is a fantastic thing. (It's why we're all on this forum - we like to communicate with peers.) Check it out. What is there to lose?

Best of Luck today!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am on the same boat. I had 3 seizures... I am 30 and been drinking... well not very hard but steady for 10 years. Every time I go cold turkey I have had one. Valium worked... but after running out of them and starting to drink again, every morning is a struggle for me because I am just too scared not to have a drink because I dont want to be in that ambulance again.

I am going to see my GP today for home recovery. I am going to AA meetings and doing babysteps with the alcohol intake but the fear of a possible seizure is just too overpowering for me.

All of my seizures were in the late evenings when alcohol finally started to exit my system, so now I have a few on my lunch.

Let's see what my GP tells me to do.

search for my post; 'Prevent seizures with alcohol?'