Notices

bipolar and alcohol addiction

Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool bipolar and alcohol addiction

I'm just starting out here (actually I've been a member before but I have no idea how long ago that was) and I'm having a bit of trouble navigating. What I'm looking for is someone else who is bipolar and quitting alcohol. Bipolar disorder is enough to handle (I am on disability for it) and self medicating with alcohol is a disaster. So I have a profound reason for quitting. Alcohol and bipolar do not mix. Period. Right now I'm going through extreme tiredness and I'm not sure if it's the withdrawal from alcohol or the meds starting to work (I was maxed out on some of them and I wasn't honest about my drinking) or a combination of both. I'm just looking for someone else who might be experiencing the same thing. I cannot join a group until I've had 15 messages? That's what this post is about. Plus, I'm getting errors trying to get into chat.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LadyBee - I moved your thread to Newcomers. You'll get more response that way.

The chat room was down - not sure what the current status is, but I see people in there now

Not sure what you mean group - you can join the Class of November or December threads anytime you like, start a new thread about alcoholism and BP, or use this one to kick things off .

D
Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Both my daughter and I are bi polar. I would say it is a bit of both. Alcohol withdrawal and meds kicking in. Hopefully you will feel better in a few days.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yes I have as most been diagnosed with a few things...

Manic Depression, Bi-Polar, PTSD, etc. Most of the meds say don't drink on them for a reason. I think in about a week or so you should be OK if not check with your Doctor and just be honest about your Alcoholism. When I filled out my paper work they asked me on the paper what I used I said, "WDYG" (What Do You Got) cause I would take anything to try and take away the pain.

Welcome your in the right spot!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bipolar here, too. I self medicated for thirty years. And the thing was, it worked. Somewhat. Drinking made me feel I imagined the way normal people felt. But that was maintenance drinking just enough to keep me on an even keel. Then I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism, and you're right, alcoholism and bipolar do not mix well.

It took me years to get psychiatric care and a few more years to find meds that worked. I still drank for a few more years until the hangovers and drinking were more than I could handle.
I had to re-learn how to live without alcohol and face my mental illness. It took dedication and determination.
I've been sober two years eleven months now and the meds are working. So it can be done and I hope you do quit drinking before you go through the nightmares that I did. I was a bad drunk and out of control.

Glad you are here and hang in there. It can be done.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was Social Groups that I was looking at. I was looking at that because I go to a bipolar chat and I don't find it very helpful.
Thanks, all. I spent about an hour out of bed today and right now it's 5:15 pm here. My next appointment with my psych nurse is Jan. 29th. I've been on meds so long that I've adjusted a couple on my own but I'm going to wait until my appointment to change anything unless I become manic and then I will call. I'm going to take it one day at a time.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it takes 15 posts for you to open a closed Social Group (by invite only)

You can start an open one right now in the social groups forum if you like.
You can change it later (I think, lol)

any probs let me know

D
Old 12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey and welcome!!!

I'm bipolar and have sober for just over a year. Medication actually works when you don't pour alcohol down your throat!