Notices

Tomorrow is Day 1 of my plan

Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is Day 1 of my plan

I'm going to start with a few small things to change my life. I need some kind of order, which I find hard to achieve when I'm not working. I have a knee injury so I'm limited, but its time to get off my ass and stop feeling sorry for myself!

So:

#1 is set alarm and get up early, try and get a routine going.
#2 eat meals at proper times and cut out the junk food.
#3 Set some kind of workout routine
#4 Make sure I get outdoors at least once a day
#5 Remove myself from social media (again).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Things that you think improve your life and help you avoid drinking...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good for you!

Service to others - that's been known to be helpful.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been looking into doing some charity work. To give something back and get some experience in a new field.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Pop in and out of here though
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Pop in and out of here though
Will do I'll post daily, if only on deeker's 24 hour club.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I agree with Kate. If you like social media, just substitute SoberRecovery.

Last edited by Coldfusion; 12-04-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Your responses on this thread show that you're doing well!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Those all sound like good steps, but none of them specifically address your desire to stop drinking.

How about devoting a portion of your day to work on sobriety with specific plan? There are many many options you could choose
1. AA/NA/other 12 step program meetings and reading
2. AVRT/Self paced sobriety plans - spend time reading and reflecting
3. Counseling - see a general counselor or an alcohol drug one at your local center - many are free or low cost
4. Consider/Consult about outpatient detox. It takes a lot of time but that's one thing you do have. Most do require at least a few days of sobriety before they will let you in though - otherwise they require detox first.
5. Read the Big Book/other sobriety literature. Even if you don't ever go to an AA meeting you can learn a lot from the big book.
6. See your doctor. Tell them about your drinking and your desire to quit.
7. PLan time on SR

Any combination of the above would be of benefit in my opinion, and many are free.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree that volunteer work is a win-win situation. It makes you get outside of yourself and to meet new sober people.

I'm glad you have a good plan, James.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm taking your advice on board Scott and will at least do some reading and visit the doctor.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds good. Why not start today? Tomorrow is good, but today is even better!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sounds good. Why not start today? Tomorrow is good, but today is even better!
There's not much left of today but I've made a start clearing up last night's carnage.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When you are willing to change you will get better
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi James, fairly new to the group. I stopped drinking about 16 months ago cold. Personally, I did it without any assistance, just a desire to quit. Pretty much a functioning alcoholic, drinking heavily from 5:00 pm till bedtime every day for about 30 years. Not sure how old you are or the extent of your problem, but I just turned 50, so it's been a long stretch. For myself it was mostly about wanting to quit and trying to understand how I became trapped in the routine of excessive drinking in the first place. Curious about a few of your details. Can you enlighten? Thanks-
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Busted, I'm 35 and have been drinking since I was 12. It started as a bit of fun and then I realized how useful it could be in social situations where I wasn't comfortable. It became pretty much a daily thing in my later teens. I was an awkward teenager and I thought it helped me - wrong. I got involved with drugs and was using\drinking daily for about 8 years. I stopped using drugs completely about 4 years ago and haven't touched any since. The booze on the other hand is more difficult. Depending on what's going on in my life I go from daily drinking to heavy binge drinking. I've been trying to alter my behaviour for the pasr couple of years. I have managed to cut down numerous times but that never lasts. I've decided being sober is the only way left to go.

My problem really began when my dad was diagnosed with a terminal and debilitating illness when I was 19. I pretty Much drank/used my way through that for 5 years. The habit stuck.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Any kids or other immediate family?

My problem was genetic in nature as well. Dad is a alcoholic, grandfather, brother, etc. Me same as you, alcohol was at first a little helper in social situations then later had to have the alcohol to create the fun. Got to a point where I couldn't do anything without factoring in the booze.

What do you do for a living...do you consider yourself a functioning alcoholic?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Right now I'm unemployed due to a knee problem, but while I was working I drank less. Still drank but not as regularly. I was working in a fast paced warehouse and didnt paticularly like being hungover at work. Being out of work is a big problem for me - I have too much time to dwell on things, think too much and drink.

There are no kids in the house, my partner has kids but they live with their dad.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
Right now I'm unemployed due to a knee problem, but while I was working I drank less. Still drank but not as regularly. I was working in a fast paced warehouse and didnt paticularly like being hungover at work. Being out of work is a big problem for me - I have too much time to dwell on things, think too much and drink.

There are no kids in the house, my partner has kids but they live with their dad.
Idle time is your enemy for sure. You mentioned making a plan starting today, perhaps you should literally organize each part of your day in a written schedule? I found it helped for me to have something planned at all times of the day in early recovery.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with Scott. Think about another line of work, in some area that might interest you and start from the bottom. Don't worry about the pay, just find an area of work that you might like. If you enjoy it, are willing to learn and show dedication, the money and opportunity will follow over time.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Idle time is your enemy for sure. You mentioned making a plan starting today, perhaps you should literally organize each part of your day in a written schedule? I found it helped for me to have something planned at all times of the day in early recovery.
That is exactly what I'm gonna do today - sit down and write it out. I had a ****** night last night but other than sleeping through my alarm my plan is intact. I'm going to aim for a week from today of following the written shedule.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BustedFlat View Post
I agree with Scott. Think about another line of work, in some area that might interest you and start from the bottom. Don't worry about the pay, just find an area of work that you might like. If you enjoy it, are willing to learn and show dedication, the money and opportunity will follow over time.
I've been looking into some kind of charity work if I can't find anything paid and get some experience in a different field.