Notices

Christmas Parties

Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timelord

Christmas Parties

Now that it's the time of year for office parties, celebrations etc I was wondering on your stance on people drinking around you?

Do you avoid gatherings like the plague or trust yourself that you won't drink?

I stopped drinking in June and have had lots of social occasions since then and been on holiday. I don't mind being round people who drink and don't become judgemental if they are drunk. They can enjoy themselves and let their hair down. I can't if I drink. Ironically I'm staying longer at parties now as I used to like rushing home and carrying on drinking at home without making a fool of myself when I could blackout without worrying anyone.

And remember at most parties someone will be driving so it's not odd these days.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I go anyway. I sometimes feel the urge when others drink around me, but usually I am fine. If I feel tempted I leave as soon as I can. My husband drinks so I am used to it being around.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mate - are you worrying about Christmas by any chance
PS I AM!!! I am gonna be boring the arzes off the mods and anyone else on here over the hols
Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Doesn't really bother me any more.

Looking forward to Dr. Who though
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ironic thing is - i'm pretty skint this year so xmas pressies to family will be bottles of booze.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Doesn't really bother me any more.

Looking forward to Dr. Who though
I've done ONE bday but this is my first xmas - love ya sis Xx
Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

doc who was better with david tenant - buzzer gone off - back soon Xx
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last Christmas i was two months sober and i was anxious about how i would get through it. I avoided any parties or social gatherings where people would be drinking because i felt too vulnerable.That worked for me and i stayed sober. I am fine with other people drinking around me now because i never feel any urge or desire to drink. I still don't choose to spend time with people who are trying to get drunk though.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm only a couple of weeks in, so I am going to try and limit my parties over the holidays. I feel like I will be able to not drink though, so I'm not overly concerned. I feel positive!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
Do you avoid gatherings like the plague or trust yourself that you won't drink?
I guess it would depend on the gathering. I went to our office's party the first year I got sober, perhaps three months in. Too soon. Not that I drank. But I was uncomfortable and discomfort was always a good reason to drink. I skipped every party since then even though I am 100 times more secure in my sobriety and know I wouldn't drink.

They just aren't fun. So why go.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think that life goes on. As long as you feel confident in your sobriety I say go for it!! Once your there if it gets too much you can always leave.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I plan to go to a friends party I've attended for years. Everyone typically gets pretty trashed, my game plan is show up early, bring plenty of NA drinks I like, and peel out before it gets stupid. I told my friend with the biggest mouth I quit drinking a few weeks back, I'm confident it's been circulated by now. Haha

Work is another booze fest, anytime we have regional meetings drinking is heavy. We have one of those in Jan I'll need to fly out to attend. I'm more concerned how to handle that. I'm not going to admit I'm AH to boss and coworkers. They will likely draw their own conclusion no matter my excuse. I think I'll make it about my MMA training, which they are aware I do. And I am making a huge effort to get super lean.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Love dr who, got a fab picture of all 12 doctors heads, no not 13, Peter Cushing was in a film not the series. Wonder what the new one will be like.

The lads at work had their Christmas outing on Saturday, one was off sick Monday, one went home early Monday, one had a battered face after falling over and one had an ambulance cart him off after he collapsed after too much drink ! That's fun!

Alcohol has a lot to answer for, I know it's not forced down people's necks but it wouldn't surprise me if people sue drinks companies like they have the tobacco companies.