Notices

Warning about 3rd World Rehabs

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I am disgusted, and AA were involved. Heinus!!
we should in no way say that AA was involved in this

they may have twisted some AA teachings there

but

in no way does the AA Program condom behavior such as this

MM
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Therapeutic Communities

TCs for the treatment of addiction originated in 1958, a time when other systems of therapy, such as psychiatry and general medicine, were not successful in treating alcohol or substance use disorders. The first TC for substance users (Synanon) was founded in California by Chuck Dederich, one of the earliest members of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), who wanted to provide a controlled (substance-free) environment in which alcohol and substance users could rebuild their lives, using the principles of AA along with a social learning model.

The core goal of TCs has always been to promote a more holistic lifestyle and to identify areas for change such as negative personal behaviors--social, psychological, and emotional--that can lead to substance use. Residents make these changes by learning from fellow residents, staff members, and other figures of authority. In the earliest TCs, punishments, contracts, and extreme peer pressure were commonly used. Partly because of these methods, TCs had difficulty winning acceptance by professional communities. They are now an accepted modality in the mainstream treatment community. The use of punishments, contracts, and similar tools have been greatly modified, although peer pressure has remained an integral and important therapeutic technique.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

whoa
Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm, very sorry for whatever happened to you Tony I hope you will pursue justice.

Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
It says that AA believes that those who are down & out and don't acknowledge that they have a problem ought to be locked up/committed/institutionalized. It's this part that the staff kept referring to, to sort of put themselves on a moral high ground, as if they had the sanction of the AA program.
I've never read that in any AA literature, ever.
Whatever was going on it's not AA - and I say that as a non AA member..

I hope you'll contact AA authorities as well.

D
Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Truly terrible but you have come out in one piece and have gained a lot. All I can say is that I hope you can get pst this and move forward.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sorry is all that I can say. Perhaps the hell you have been through will help shape the life you will lead. Perhaps through this post you may save the life of someone else? Good luck and thank you for the share.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm, very sorry for whatever happened to you Tony I hope you will pursue justice.

I've never read that in any AA literature, ever.
Whatever was going on it's not AA - and I say that as a non AA member..

I hope you'll contact AA authorities as well.

D
I found the text.

Some men cannot or will not get over alcoholism. When they become too dangerous, we think the kind thing is to lock them up, but of course a good doctor should always be consulted.
Page 114 of the AA Big Book, from the chapter "To Wives".
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats a bit of a stretch Tony.
If thats the justification for what happened to you and others, I really hope you'll pursue things through the proper channels.

I thank you for letting our members know that such places exist.

In the end tho, we're a recovery forum - we're not the courts, or the police, or even AA.

Those are the people you need to have a discussion with.

I think discussion has gone as far as it can here.

I've discussed this with Anna and we're closing this thread under rule 2:

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-04-2013 at 03:16 PM.