Notices

Day 1

Old 12-04-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi,

I am brand new here, soon to be 40-year old mother drinking way too much wine. I need to stop, just donīt know how. I donīt drink every day, a couple of times a week but then always close to two bottles. Worried about my future and health. And feeling very bad for the kids. Feel like **** today, hangover and determined to quit. I know from previous experience that in a few days I will have forgotten and start to think that surely I can have one or two glasses...
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Morning Laura,

Welcome, and step 1 is admitting the powerlessness over alcohol. You sound like you are there!!! I am pretty much the same age as you and for me I just had enough, and when that feeling happened I kept following my heart to stay sober and reached out.

You are on a great path!!

Matt
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Laura

Welcome to SR ! We are all here to gain and maintain sobriety. Please feel welcome to share whatever you can and I would recommend that you read as much as you can especially in this section and join the December Class. The folks here (and I ) are very supportive, so please feel safe to share. Stay connected and be strong ! Its an exciting start for a new beginning !

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Laura. This is a great place for information and support.

I also forgot many times how bad I felt the day after drinking. One drink always led to more and more. I finally got to the point that I realized it is the first drink that gets me drunk, every single time.

Hang out, ask questions and read. Glad you are here.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So many responses so fast, thanks for the encouraging words. I have read a lot here before I registered, I think I need to login and post daily, that seems to help for some. At the moment I just want the day to be over, I am working from home and not doing much work. Have to make some sort of plan what I will do when i feel like drinking. Just poured out all the wine so there is no alcohol in the house.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

WELCOME to SR!
Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
(1) Have to make some sort of plan what I will do when i feel like drinking. (2) Just poured out all the wine so there is no alcohol in the house.
Those are the two main ingredients in every success recipe I've read on this site. You seem to be a fast learner.

Best of Luck on your journey!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I donīt actually have a plan more than I have to stay busy, shouldnīt be too hard just before Christmas. And I want to take care of myself, eat well and try to excersise.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Laura.

Keep those positive reasons for quitting top of mind.

Congratulations on recognising there is a problem and drinking isn't causing you the happiness it once promised.

Best wishes in the journey ahead. It's well worth the effort and eventually you do forget about wine o'clock!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome! Coming here daily is a great start. Keeping busy is another good idea.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Laura

I changed my life at 40 so it's very possible

You might want to think a little more on a plan tho - Christ,as is a time full of social events and temptations, stresses and pressures to fit in.

Without a plan on how to deal with these kinds of situation you may find yourself in hot water and not knowing how to get out?

D
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I donīt feel pressured or afraid of the social situations, I am very good at staying sober at events and dinners, I do my drinking at home, alone. I am more scared of all the free time around Christmas and new years.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well I donīt actually have a plan more than I have to stay busy, shouldnīt be too hard just before Christmas. And I want to take care of myself, eat well and try to excersise.
That's a pretty solid foundation for a plan. Certainly you can build on that, but for your first day here I think you're ahead of the curve.

We get a surprising number of new members who seem to want to stop drinking, but not make any other changes in their lives. From my observations their success rate is lower than those who make a plan.

Anyway - keep the press on. You can beat this!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been reading here for months...I guess I have learned a few things, now I just have to do them... I always make grand plans to turn my life around completely and of course I fail. I will concetrate on the sobriety part and when I gets easier, add the healthy food and excerise.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome Laura,

I did most of my drinking alone at home as well and, also like you, bottles of wine at least a couple times a week. For me, it progressed to sometimes more than two bottles and more than twice a week. The cravings got vicious. The hangovers horrific.

You won't believe how amazing it feels to just be rid of the constant cycle of hangovers and cravings. To feel strong and not enslaved to poison is one of the best things that has happened to me. It's not easy. I had to avoid places and even people that would trigger me. I had to fight some crazy cravings and, some moments, still do. I'm over a year sober now and everything from my appearance to my job performance to my levels of anxiety has improved.

Wishing you the best.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will concetrate on the sobriety part and when I gets easier, add the healthy food and excerise.
That is a GREAT WAY to start! So many times I tried to get sober and do "everything else" in life perfectly also (exercise more, eat better, keep my house clean, etc.) and I failed miserably. This time around I put my sobriety FIRST and let everything else just fall into place and guess what? IT WORKS!!!!

Welcome to the site! I am a 30 year old mom and even though I am staying sober for me, my daughter and husband are benefiting just as much, its a blessing!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi,

I am brand new here, soon to be 40-year old mother drinking way too much wine. I need to stop, just donīt know how. I donīt drink every day, a couple of times a week but then always close to two bottles. Worried about my future and health. And feeling very bad for the kids. Feel like **** today, hangover and determined to quit. I know from previous experience that in a few days I will have forgotten and start to think that surely I can have one or two glasses...
It will click eventually and there is much varied support out there. Here is a good start
Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How long does it take to notice a change, in energy, appearance et c? And do the cravings ever go away or will I think about wine every single day for the rest of my life?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

How long does it take to notice a change, in energy, appearance et c? And do the cravings ever go away or will I think about wine every single day for the rest of my life?
Everyone is different, but I stopped craving wine around 30 days and my appearance changed around 4 months maybe? I went to a meeting and someone said that they wished they had quit drinking in their 20s like me (I am 37). I did a dance. Now the energy.... I'm still waiting for that but I also work a ton and don't do it hungover anymore!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Laura,

I was a drink at home wine drinker. A couple of bottles a night, daily. Everything you said echoed what I did/felt. Fear of the stretches of free time. Feeling better after a couple of days so I would reward myself and think I could have just a couple of glasses, surely this time would be different? How in the world could I not ever think of wine again?

It does get better but initially is hard. Or cqn be hard. If you have a lot of free time try to make plans for that time. Structured plans with specific times and some attachment of responsibility that it needs to get done. Otherwise it is too easy to put off. You have a rather loose plan or idea in place but it might need fine tuning. You have not mentioned AA and it doesn't appeal to everyone but I go. I commit to going to a meeting and then I have a sober hour and respite. If you work from home and have care for your kids or they are older, many areas have day time meetings. Meetings give face to face support.

Try eating well now. I drank most of my meals and was underweight. Simple healthy food and water does wonders. My stomach was at first messed up but it did get better.

As for your appearance? Took me a couple of weeks of not drinking. My skin was coarse looking and angry red. It got better although for a period of time I broke out a lot. I just turned 49 and really, the number of breakouts was ridiculous but that passed too.

The longer you are on this new journey, the better you will feel. You will be able to walk by a bottle of wine in the store without wondering how it would taste, or comparing prices. You will pass the people in the store giving wine samples and say "no thanks" without hesitation.

Good luck. Glad you joined. I come on here for support a lot and to read and attend AA meetings and try to keep calling or in contact with women from AA if I am having a down day.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

The body recovers surprisingly quickly and the craving does lessen over time. I don't have it at all any more.