Notices

Day 1

Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
How long does it take to notice a change, in energy, appearance et c? And do the cravings ever go away or will I think about wine every single day for the rest of my life?
For me,I had terrible insomnia for the first 3 days. So no energy at all,but, surprisingly I felt better.
By the second week I was already feeling better,looking better and getting out more. After one month I was full blown active and out and about.
It's different for everybody.
But, the cravings last for a while but, they get less and less over time.
I'm over 4 months without a drink and on occasion the AV(addictive voice) will bother me.
Especially now that the holidays have arrived.But,it's manageable.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I tried to quit on my own many times and failed. it was not until I started going to AA that things got better. I was taught that recovery is about a whole lot more than just not drinking. that alcoholism is a symptom of other problems.

Many are reluctant to go to AA because that means they are a real alcoholic and not a wine drinking suburban alcoholic. this is just one of the many games our disease plays with us with the ultimate goal of keeping a sick.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am not against AA, I just have a hard time making it to a meeting because of my work and kids. I live in a small place and there arenīt that many meetings a month. Thinking about finding a therapist, I read that some have good experiences from that?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've nothing against AA either Laura but it's hard for me to get to meetings as well. I find SR is more than enough help Nice to 'meet' you by the way and
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, I thought I will try on my own, which I have unsuccessfully in the past, but now I have SR and there truly is a lot of help and support here.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I tried for 4 years on my own and it wasn't until I started signing in here every day, that things started to 'click' Honestly, it really is a brilliant website
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found that if I am willing to devote half the time I spent being drunk or recovering from being drunk there is tons of time for any recovery activity I chose.

For me the only thing I have to do is stay sober the rest are choices because without sobriety I will lose everything I value
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I always make grand plans to turn my life around completely and of course I fail.
I can't say I ever made any grand plans but I did tell myself a time or hundred I would not drink the next day but always did.

I will concentrate on the sobriety part and when I gets easier, add the healthy food and exercise.
This is what I did. I did not diet, exercise or watch what I ate which was a good thing because I ate a ton of chocolate ice cream. I have lost 40 pounds so far though.

I am eight months sober now and I am starting to watch more what I buy and what I eat. I am also going to start an exercise plan of some sort after the new year. Baby steps, baby steps...lol
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 2 beginning here in Europe, slept quite bad, not aided by a sick daughter caughing her lungs away. Will soon get to work, have the whole day planned and most parts of the evening too. I will not drink today and that feels great to know. Hoping to get out for a walk or something in the afternoon, tomorrow we will according to the news be hit by a snowstorm so better go outside today...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

How are you doing, Laura?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am doing fine, but have had no access to internet in my house the past days, very annoying. Having a tough week coming with lots of Christmas events. Iīm trying to focus in other things, went for a 7km run this morning, very refreshing. Thanks for asking!