Notices

First AA meeting for an agnostic

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting for an agnostic

I am not a religious person. And so, getting up the energy to go to AA has been a long time coming... I am spiritual but as a person, I do not do well with being told spiritual or existential truths. I feel those things are individual and there is no right or wrong (for the most part).

But one night I braved the snow, and walked 2.5 miles to the meeting at 10pm. I liked listening to others and their stories. I was pressured to get up and speak and so I did... about how alcohol about killed me, made me into a person I'm not, how it turned me into this abusive *******.

At the end, they had applauded me twice, a million people gave me hugs, and a bunch of people gave me their numbers written down in an AA book title page. I am so happy I went.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

That's good news!

Thanks for sharing with us here!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I'm glad you went and had a wonderful experience!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You should get the book "Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power" by Marya Hornbacher. It is all about working the steps for an agnostic or atheist by getting in touch with your own spiritual power and moral code. I am reading it and really enjoying it.

Congrats on going!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! There is an agnostic man in a meeting I go to regularly and he has been sober for 10 years through AA. He recently spoke and said that not drinking is "fantastic". I will never forget his smile and sincerity when he said that.
Congrats and keep up the good work!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great stuff Jade
Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

JS I'm so glad you went. Your scouting report is likely to help someone reading here who may be somewhere on the spectrum between reluctant and terrified of attending. There is a lot of help in the rooms of AA, for just about everyone.

I was a very stanch agnostic when I first entered my first AA meeting. My experience is that the folks in AA are generally very tolerant of beliefs at variance with their own.
They need to be, because there are so many divergent views.

My advice is to just keep an open mind about EVERYTHING you hear. Don't believe or disbelieve anything. Consider everything well, and then adopt what you feel to be best.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was actually very surprised at the high number of young men who came up to me after the sharing portion of the meeting, to tell me that they were agnostic / athiests themselves, and that the AA format still was able to help. I'm very fortunate to have found a meeting that has a diverse group of people.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Another agnostic here who has stayed sober through AA. I came in to the rooms, not really believing in god. I wasn't an atheist per se; I just didn't really care one way or another.

But I kept an open mind and tried not to let any preconceived notions cloud my thinking. My version of a higher power has evolved over the 8 months I've been in the program, but not a single person has ever told me what or what not to believe. It was all left up to me. Only suggestions were made. Nothing was forced on me.

Congrats on taking that first step. AA isn't just about staying sober. It's about becoming a new and better person.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

Good stuff Jade

A little nugget of advice I was given when I first started A.A. was 'Find your own truth'.

I wish you all the best in your journey
Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

That's awesome Jade! I hope it helps you as much as it had helped me and I'm also an agnostic.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It seems that different areas have different views on this. I'm grateful I've never been to a meeting with a point of view much different than mine. I never have been religious yet I believe of a creator far more powerful than myself. It's worked for me for + 30 years.

BE WELL
Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found a good group out your way. I mostly have experience with rural meetings in central Massachusetts and have found them anything but accepting of agnostics and atheists. I guess it depends on the region and demographics.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jade! I am so happy for you! Keep reaching out for support. Going to meetings has helped me IMMENSELY. Today is 90 days for me! The longest I've been sober in nearly 2 decades. I honestly don't believe I could have done it without the support of the program. Keep going back, it really does work if your willing I too am spiritual but not especially religious. The higher power for me was the energy of everyone in the room wanting the same thing--to stay sober today. All the best to you friend, I commend your diligence
Old 12-05-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you Jade. I think many of us struggle with the references in the BB but we keep an open mind.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news Jade.