Notices

Feeling down, need to get back up

Old 12-03-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling down, need to get back up

Maybe I just need to type this all out to be able to re-read it, but I have a feeling my blue state is because I am isolating myself. I have always been an introvert and usually like SOME time alone, but lately it has been more than usual.

My AV spoke to me this morning, I didn't drink , but got an upset stomach, full of anxiety and I called out of work. After some time I felt fine and should have gone into work but I went to a meeting instead. I want to get out of this funk!! I have been going to the gym every day, but maybe when I go today I should change up my routine? Hopefully that will help my mood a bit.

Thanks for letting me get this all out.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anchor,

Sorry you're experiencing this funk.

The gym helps me a lot, and I have to switch up my routine every six weeks or so to a) continue to get physical results, and b) to keep from getting bored.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I always try to do something that makes me laugh. Even a funny movie or TV show. Laughter is always my medicine.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Maybe I just need to type this all out to be able to re-read it, but I have a feeling my blue state is because I am isolating myself. I have always been an introvert and usually like SOME time alone, but lately it has been more than usual.

My AV spoke to me this morning, I didn't drink , but got an upset stomach, full of anxiety and I called out of work. After some time I felt fine and should have gone into work but I went to a meeting instead. I want to get out of this funk!! I have been going to the gym every day, but maybe when I go today I should change up my routine? Hopefully that will help my mood a bit.

Thanks for letting me get this all out.
Hi anchorbird. I have issues and challenges with self isolation as well. Are you "close" to anyone in AA/the meetings you go to? I know that for me, it takes A LOT for me to open up to someone. This prevents me from having close relationships and at times I feel very alone. It's something I have to work on when I'm feeling isolated and lonely.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I always try to do something that makes me laugh. Even a funny movie or TV show. Laughter is always my medicine.
Definitely. There are times I'll even watch funny videos on youtube to get myself in a better mood
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Everybody has down days. Blue moods. Funks...whatever you want to call them. Everyone.

But only alcoholics feel the need to drink because they are down.

Give yourself permission to feel bad sometimes. It's okay. It doesn't have to be part of recovery, or early sobriety. In otherwords, you are just like everyone else.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise helps me especial in this period where it is rather dark.

You are not that high north in New Hampshire but you have lost 6 hours of the day, that missing light and winter does impact us.

It is very important to me to have some time outside, especially in the week-ends where I can do it in daylight.

I hope it will get better soon anchorbird.

Be strong.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I went to the gym, changed up my routine and (gasp) went in the tanning bed :-) The warmth and brightness felt SO GOOD and I left in a MUCH better mood! Now on to make supper and do homework with my 9 year old.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Thanks everyone! I went to the gym, changed up my routine and (gasp) went in the tanning bed :-) The warmth and brightness felt SO GOOD and I left in a MUCH better mood! Now on to make supper and do homework with my 9 year old.
Congrats! So proud! I know people have their misgivings about tanning beds but personally I ALWAYS feel better after a tanning bed session
I'm glad everything worked out today!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done anchorbird!
I'm glad you are feeling better