Notices

mornings in early sobriety

Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mornings in early sobriety

Hi  I hope everyone’s day is going good.

I have a question and hope I can get some good advice or at least reasoning.
Today is day 3 for me and last night I really did not have problems falling to sleep BUT I am waking up feeling like death and sleeping way late after falling asleep at a decent hour.

I just feel whooped in the mornings.

Why is this? How long until things start evening out? I know everyone is different and such but just wondering about details on some of your experiences with this.

I ask this also because I did have 100 plus days sober and remember that same morning feeling. It did get better BUT lasted awhile. And like a dummy I didn’t stick around to see when it would dissipate or took it’s course.

Thanks everyone. I love it here! You guys are GREAT!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by journey3 View Post
BUT I am waking up feeling like death and sleeping way late after falling asleep at a decent hour.

This is the first time I've read about this issue. Insomnia is so common there is an entire forum about it. Sleeping too much? I wish I could help.

Glad you're getting some sleep and still hanging in there!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

between two weeks and three months...

(depending on what you've been abusing and the amounts you have been abusing)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Your body is probably catching up. You don't actually get much beneficial sleep when you're drinking. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will improve in time.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Your body is probably catching up. You don't actually get much beneficial sleep when you're drinking. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will improve in time.
That's a really great point! I don't sleep well when drinking. Yes, I pass out early but wake up at like 2-4 AM and can’t go back to sleep. Most likely as well I am waking up in the night and not noticing. Therefore, I am constantly exhausted the next day. Now that you mention it...the problems with falling asleep usually occurred into days 4-5 into a week or so. I didn't think about that. Thanks Kate. Makes me feel better! Today's been a rough start. I have to remember this sleeping mess shall pass.

Moral of the story STOP the cycle and the only way to do that is to remain sober.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can we trade sleep problems for a few days? I'm almost 2 weeks in and getting about 4-5 hrs a night. Can't wait for more. But from what everyone's been telling me, sleep can be a challenge in a variety of ways early on. We have to give our bodies and minds a chance to adjust and we are all different. Congrats on 3 days, by the way. That's awesome!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think sleeping issues are part and parcel of early recovery. Read up on Post Acute Withdrawals (aka PAWS). Just being aware that it's pretty normal in early recovery was helpful for me. Ive found that trading sugar and sweets at night (for alcohol) was a catch-22... It made the cravings lessen but I felt like crap the next morning. So my advice, be easy on yourself, read up on PAWS and stay away from sweets at night!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to me for about the first three weeks of sobriety. I'd go to bed early but when the alarm went off I felt like I hadn't slept at all. I'd also fee like I was in a dense fog for the first few hours after I woke up. I don't know why it happened but the good part is it gradually got better and now I'm actually a morning person! At a minimum I'd go to the doc and have them do a thorough blood test just to make sure there isn't something that might be causing the morning fog. Then again I err on the side of caution these days.

Hang in there!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was very, very tired for the first month and a half, despite getting plenty of sleep. I am currently on Day 66 (over 2 months). I get plenty of uninterrupted sleep (at least 8 hours a night) without any sleep aids and I have plenty of energy in the morning and during the day. Just remember to eat right and get exercise and be patient with your body, which has been taxed for a long time with alcohol abuse.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sob - I never thought about the food intake being a problem....good point. I try to cut down on sugar too. Makes a lot of sense that it would be causing problems (even the next day).

Bruce - Thanks I am glad I am not alone on this. I know what you mean about that fog. It is annoying!
DD - I am trying to get back on the exercise band wagon as we speak I know that will help a lot too!

Thank you for the responses everyone !! xoxo Gives me some light at the end of the tunnel per say although we are all different....I know anything is better than a hangover
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For the first couple months of my sobriety I felt like a walking zombie. I was so tired in the morning I could barely function. It slowly got better but it took a while.