Notices

Possible Denial

Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Quitting isn't easy. For myself I had to take a good, long, hard look at my life. No one I know would ever say I was an alcoholic... So what? I don't want to end up like my mom who drank herself to death. Alcoholism is progressive and I am young. I want a better life than I can get while drinking, a life without hangovers, where I can have fun without being buzzed, where my relationships are based on feelings instead of the habit of indulging in a mutual chemical high. Being sober gives my life a level of meaning I couldn't achieve while constantly thinking about drinking, drinking, and recovering from drinking every week. I hope you join us on the path to sobriety, once you get past the first few months you will never regret it! Welcome!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Alcohol did something for us when we drank it beyond our own good common sense back when. Many of us have experienced that sad aha! moment when we know another drink makes more sense then to just stop already. Scary times.

When the drinker knows the continuing drinking is making things worse, then its seriously time to change things up for the better. Plenty of useful ways to go forward with all this, so you'll find plenty of others willing to share what worked (and what didn't, lol) in their own words.

Quitting works well, goes without saying. But even so, for many drinkers, quitting is the last straw and often as not, the thing that alcohol did for the drinker is sorely missed. Understanding that change is essential is key in being successful with quitting drinking. On going change actually is even better. Eventually things get so good, that change is not such the big deal it started out as, is my experience.

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi I reallydon'tknow

Are you an alcoholic? I don't really know either, but people don't usually seek out forums like these if they're at peace with how they drink.

Going sober for a time may help you see whether you depend on alcohol or not. Make it a decent go tho - if you're a binge drinker 2 weeks is a doddle.

why not try 3 months no drinking at all ever - see how you go

D
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Ireallydon'tknow,
It is in my opinion that the craving to drink more after you have one or two is a very strong indicator of alcoholism. Normal people simply do not experience this. It is a physiological abnormality.

Just my opinion, but I can say I have a lot of experience at trying to disprove it (all of them failed, so now i'm sober! lol)
Old 12-03-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The best advice I can give is hang out on this forum. As you are finding out,quitting is not easy. You can find out a lot here. You can also relate to people going through the same thing. I cannot describe how I wish I would have quit at your age.

Fred
Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I wouldn't dream of labelling you or telling you what to do. But this forum is very helpful and you could take a lot from it, just reading stuff. One thing I would ask you though, please don't let anything mess up your studies. They are so important. Perhaps if you stop or cut right back until they are done and then work on yourself afterwards, if you do think there may be a problem. Don't pressurise yourself too much whilst you are working so hard for your education. xxxx
Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You remind me a little of myself. I started drinking in college but thought it was completely normal, and it kinda was. After I graduated and got a job I would save my drinking for my days off. And I would get smashed. I thought that was completely normal for a long time too. Then one day I realized it wasn't. I told myself to take a week off from drinking and couldn't last a day. I have a problem. That was a few years ago. Today I'm a 28 year old functioning hot mess trying to find a way to quit for good.