Notices

detox

Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

detox

On my way to detox. I've never done this before. I'm SO scared. But, I've been trying on my own and its not working! So.. here I go.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine. I could never get on a detox program and often wish I had. I might have got better all the sooner xxx
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was hard to find a place to get in. So I'm glad I found a spot. And ill have my own room and bathroom so hopefully I won't be too uncomfortable. But I have bad soc anxiety and have been agorophobic lately... so I'm pretty freaked out right now.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thx guys. Deep breaths. God I'm scared.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, please don't worry - they will have seen it all before You'll be fine Xx
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck! Personally, I liked detox. Especially if you get your own room. Are you doing treatment afterwards? For me detox was like floating in a warm cloud. Initially you can probably expect a giant shot of thiamine as alcohol depletes your body of B vitamins which is bad. Then you will get Valium for the withdrawals symptoms which they will gradually taper. For the most they will at first leave you alone to sleep except to check your blood pressure and for fever. Hang in there! You can do it. They have your best interests at heart. I've done detox twice and neither was a bad experience.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dont be scared. Detox is the rite place to be. I have been a handful of times. That is great you get your own room. I went to one that there were like 25 people in the room.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes EverySingleNight

D
Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The worst thing I thought about detox was the boredom. No outside influences, no newspapers, radio, tv, books, etc. Only eating, sleeping, and going to meetings and classes.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Sounds alright to me.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have 4 meetings a day, they allow cellphones, laptops, and iPads. Room has tv and people can visit until 9.pm. My room has a phone and I'm able to order food when I like. I have 2 counselors, two doctors, two nurses, assigned to me. It's a very small group with very few beds. Everyone is really nice but they had to up my meds. Sick feeling, and trippin. Didn't do groups today. Will do my best to attend all 4 if I feel like I can tomorrow. I came out of my room and walked around a bit with my husband, to get my bearings. It looks okay. They let me bring a blanket and pillow from home and my own soaps/cosmetics. I know it just seems like "stuff", but these little things from home are so comforting.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Going to detox was, aside from marrying my wife, the smartest decision I ever made. I was allowed my cell phone and ipad, and my wife could bring our dog into my room to visit me. Just knowing that I was somewhere that I could be helped if anything went wrong let me relax enough to sleep for the first time in months. After a few days of rest and nourishment and you will feel like a new person. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, I wish my dog could visit! The most exciting part for me is being in a good place with really good staff. I feel very confident that I'll be sent home with an exact outpatient plan to follow.. Which may be scary at first, but I've never given it a try. So maybe I can do it. My first goal is to get through this night! Every time a close my eyes I'm seeing crazy stuff behind my lids, and I'll fall asleep for a sec but wake with a twitch that shakes the whole bed, I'm sweating, and everything seems to be wavey or slipping across thr floors or walls kinda. Ativan... Not really helping. But I do feel more comfortable here than at home right now. I'll take it!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Such a different experience you guys have! As I said, I was not allowed my cell phone or any outside communication. Absolutely NO VISITORS. They search your underwear when you go in and luckily they give it back to you, but you have to wear hospital johnnies and robes, hospital slippers, etc. at all times. No street clothes. Purse is locked up. No makeup, and you get travel sizes of toiletries and a comb and toothbrush. No reading material of any kind except for a "library" which consists of the "Big Book" and a few other books on alcoholism. I would have given anything for a book to read because that is what helps me get to sleep at night. The staff was nice, though. This was a VOLUNTARY detox, and I did feel lucky that I was the only one in there for the first time and one of the only ones that had a good job, home, and boyfriend to go back to. Most of the people in there were either homeless or sent there from jail or worse.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That seems really strict. But maybe it was at a larger facility, or was run in tandem with psyche? I read this place turns 80% down and refers them to other programs. I must be "special"! Lol if by special I mean- have a real risk of dying from cold turkey, then yes.. I must be special!!! Yay... It was SO HARD to find a bed. I was calling everyone over and over.. Finally this place, I called they asked me questions, spoke to the doc and said come in at9am. I. Would've thought that was the rule rather than the exception before hearing from yu guys. Thx!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Good luck in detox! Not gonna lie to you, it ain't gonna be easy, but you will have the peace of mind of round the clock care by doctors and nurses who know what they're doing.

I detoxed in a rehab facility, so no phones, gadgets, TV, visitors or any other kind or outside communication. But I made it through the detox and also did 30 days inpatient rehab. I've been sober ever since. Those nurses really took care of me and helped save my life.

So be kind to your nurses. Even if you're feeling like crap, they are there to help you.

Best of luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

wow. i been feelin sorry for myself havin a sleepless night nearly a year clean. thank you for reminding me that this is sooooooooo something i can cope with.

detox is tough. making it worthwhile by maintaining sobriety afterwards is equally tough - but necessary and WORTH IT!

please have a plan for the day you leave. keep on posting.

ps. i'm in england where "they make you wear hospital johnnies all the time" would mean something completely different! am still lmao!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I will have a plain!!! Detailed!!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Good to hear that you're working on a plan for sobriety. Detox is just the first baby step. It doesn't fix the disease in your head. It just gets the poison out of your body.

If you have access to the internet, keep posting on your progress. It might be good for others to hear how you're coping. Too many people try to endure withdrawal on their own, with sometimes dire results (myself included). You're doing the right thing by seeking medical help.