Notices

Society is so crul

Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tabbj View Post
Some from my own family, others I work with, some I run into in general at the stores that have made smart remarks while standing behind you in line and so forth. I should not be so hard on myself and let others get me down.
you don't have to be other peoples doormat. get a backbone and use it.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
you don't have to be other peoples doormat. get a backbone and use it.
She's already said she does speak up for herself. She just doesn't like the way people make her *feel*, which just makes her human and is totally understandable. I think there is a difference sometimes in the way men feel about other people's perceptions of them, and the way women feel. My husband doesn't give a rat's patootie what other people think of him, and yet I can be very sensitive at times.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tabbj View Post
I have had my share of being told I do not meet up to society standards !!

1. Not rich enough
2. Not educated enough
3. Job not good enough
4. Your body doesn't look like a model
5. Your Kids are not good enough for theirs
People who look down their noses at others are usually people who don't feel very good about themselves. It helps them cope with their own feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness to convince themselves and/or act as though they are superior to others. These are people who are often unhappy with their own lives, who feel a sense of meaninglessness and emptiness - holding themselves above others helps them to feel less meaningless, more worthy. Don't get caught up with these peoples' BS. See it for what it is - an attempt to make THEMSELVES feel better about their own empty lives.

All of the things that you mentioned as points of comparison are surface, meaningless, empty things. How does money, education, type of job make one person better than another? Society's measuring stick is warped, and as has been said in a previous post, much of that has to do with media and advertising. I've observed that often, "stuff" and impressive resumes are consolation prizes, and become REALLY important only because the person's life is otherwise empty. Many people are not like that, but some are - the fancy clothes, cars, schools become the measures of success because the person doesn't have anything REAL in life that he/she cares about. The emptier a person's life is, the more they care about this kind of material, meaningless stuff.

Don't get caught up with that - focus on the meaningful things that makes life worth living. Relationships with people, making a difference in the world - things like that. Really - who cares what car you drive, clothes you wear, home you live in? All this is SOO inconsequential!