Notices

Hi, I'm new and desperate

Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marselles View Post
NINETY-NINE DAYS!!! woo-hoo renarde! big-you-up! well done!
Aww thank you! It has gotten so much easier!

Just hang in there holburn!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi again. I managed to speak to my gp on the phone. she felt that the amount I drank could be managed by tapering, which I started on Sunday. I've done four, three, then two units. One unit tomorrow then hopefully nothing after that. Bad sleep first night, good sleep last night. Still awake but feel happy and comfortable. I can't possibly ask for more than this. I'm so relieved.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, do try to get off the wine a fair way before your op. And your doctor is the best person to consult about that. But everyone has our back here
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome holburn! I drank several times more than you for years. In the beginning it was beer, then beer and hard liquor, then eventually I graduated to wine. By the time I realized I had to stop I was drinking three bottles every single night. Of course, I'm a male and likely at least seven-stone/100 lbs bigger than you.

I'm glad to see you're getting help from a doctor. When I quit it was cold turkey. I understood it could be dangerous but I was so desperate to stop that I didn't care if it killed me! Not smart in retrospect!

I've been sober for 13 months, and if someone that drank as much I did and quit you can too.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you saw your DR Holborn - check in here at SR as often as you need to

D
Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm just sorry I panicked so much about it all, but I think I googled too much and it doesn't help the fact that i work in my local hospital, in a ward which deals with people with alcohol problems sometimes.
I also read something which reassured me because it said that the gaba receptors would only try and run riot after a long time spell on alcohol and an abrupt stop. I drank in the evening and went for 12 hours or more without any alcohol, so the receptors were able to pick themselves up normally again for those few hours when the alcohol wore off. Sounds gobbledegook, but now makes sense to me. I just wish I hadn't tortured myself so much. I also thank my gp for having such a laid back attitude when i told her how much I drank. She said she thought i was going to say a bottle of vodka a day, then it would have been different and I'd have needed longer tapering and probably medication to help. It's like a weight off my shoulders. I went to work today and felt so much better within myself. Yes, I will eventually drink again, but only socially and particularly only at weekends. I'm proving to myself that I can do it. Thanks also to everyone on here who are all going down the same path. People need to be in our shoes..............
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Holburn. I would suggest joining in with the December 2013 newcomers thread and posting in there, even if it's just a few words about how you are feeling. It's helping me a lot. I'm on day four and there are many others like me there.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Holburn, i wasn't drinking a bottle of wine a night but a bottle of spirits everyother night so I was having a day off. As others have said, you should get to the doctor. I didn't and I was lucky not to experience any major negatives BUT I *should* have gone to my doctor. We have a wonderful advantage here in Scotland, not just over much of the world but over England too- not only free GP visits but free prescriptions too. Healthcare totally free at point of delivery and Scotland also has a stronger attitude toward dealing with problem drinking than down south too. There is a lot of help you can get, so please do go. A ten minute visit to your GP could offer you a whole world of hope and help.

Also, use this site. I've been here less than a week and I've found it more helpful than any other types of interactions I've had. good luck.

Last edited by DramaStudent; 12-11-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Because I said "bottle of win" not "wine". boozing is not "win" :/
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just an update. I previously said i phoned my gp and told her I was drinking a bottle of wine a night. She advised me to cut down over a few days. Which I did. I went into hospital for my operation alcohol free and it was a huge weight off my shoulder. Tapering can work if you try it.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've tapered off....it works, it works well if you can stick to the plan. Most people on here don't like the idea of tapering, because it's very difficult to stick to the plan. Reduce your drinking by a drink per night, and drink each drink very slowly. If you are drinking a bottle of wine a night, a taper should work great and then you will be off the wine for good.

Note.... I was where you once were... I was so afraid of Dt's that I was afraid of quitting... I could have quit back then...easily..I wish I would have....and then two years later...and I was drinking 3-4 bottles of wine per night....and I still was able to taper...it was hell, but possible...

what I'm getting at is your taper will be much easier...you CAN do it...and the sober life is so worth it! Cheers
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by holburn View Post
Just an update. I previously said i phoned my gp and told her I was drinking a bottle of wine a night. She advised me to cut down over a few days. Which I did. I went into hospital for my operation alcohol free and it was a huge weight off my shoulder. Tapering can work if you try it.

Great news, Holburn! Have you decided to remain sober?