Notices

Do you reward yourself?

Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you reward yourself?

This is my first night sober and I'm trying to keep busy doing good things for myself (wearing cute boots, eating a healthy dinner, fancy wine glass with sparkling water).... But I'm wondering if anyone treats themselves to any reward after a week or month of not drinking. I was thinking of setting aside the money I would have spent in a jar everyday, but seeing how self-control is not one of my finer qualities, I decided against it, lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I treated myself to simple pleasures.......bubble bath, new pj's, candles etc. .....I figured a little pampering was better then drinking
Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I reward myself with Snickers ice cream..ha do what you gotta do
Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved this thread. Our Daily Support Forum is only for the continuation of existing threads.

You'll find more response here

I did little rewards for a while - a bit of chocolate an ice cream etc...eventually living sober kinda becomes its own reward tho, you know?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also like to reward myself with things that are pampering to me. I never knew how much I loved giving myself facials and manicures until I got sober! It is always a treat and makes me feel pretty. I also like getting jewellery after significant milestones. I love sober me and I deserve to feel and look good.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ice Cream. As much as I want! I have always loved it, and for the last 20 years it has been such a rare treat. It doesn't really go good with beer on the belly.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I rewarded myself a ton and still do. While in early recovery, I also got out of an abusive relationship so rewarding myself was a top priority. I bought new clothes because I lost weight, new shoes, new pieces of not too expensive jewelry. I really got into groupon and living social when treating myself. I treated myself to classes that I had always wanted to take; trapeze flying, sushi making. I get myself one of these gifts on a monthly basis and have planned to take the day off from work when I reach my one year mark to have an all day spa splurge. But on a daily basis, I found some really good low or no calorie juices to keep on hand and I ate really good food and lots of desserts everyday. Getting sober is a HUGE deal and we should be treating ourselves kindly and with whatever that keeps us sober.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been using groupon too for things like massages and facials. I also pick up small things like bubble bath and candles. And ice cream. I've eaten more ice cream in the past three months than I have in my entire life.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've done all kinds of fun, crazy and wonderful things since I quit drinking alcohol.

Lost a ton of weight, cut my hair into a great style and colored it a beautiful shade of lavender, bought some inexpensive but really fun clothes, redecorated my tiny little apartment, helping others, stopped smoking...

Sometimes I reward myself by doing absolutely nothing and being perfectly content with that.

Even the bad days are great days compared to the old days.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh man I love this thread lol. I have been rewarding myself as well. As a matter of fact, today I got myself a new pair of cute running shoes (granted, mine were literally falling apart but still- while drinking I wasn't even using them lol). I've also been using groupon and living social- love them!! The pampering thing is so true... I just bought a gel manicure kit with the LED light for 30 bucks on living social; SO excited for it to arrive in the mail!!

I think it's important to treat ourselves for the work we're doing... while it's necessary it's also SO difficult.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I don't know if eating better and having more deserts is rewarding myself but I am. I can sure tell how much more cash is in my pocket at the end of the week when I'm not drinking.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Right now, yes, I think about rewards. Tonight, for example, I had to do a bit of shopping, and the last second I turned downt the candy isle and dropped a bag of reeses into my cart. I really do try and avoid candy, but these days, working on the early stages of sobriety, it's all hands on deck, do what I gotta do. My goal, my vision of my future mind set is to have sobriety itself be the reward--that's not my line, someone here at SR taught me that, but I'm ripping it off
Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Skinny Cow chocolate covered cherry cones. I think I've had one every night of my sobriety so far. I'm nervous b/c they say "limited edition" on them. Not sure what I'll replace them with once they're gone. Right now ice cream is just so dang comforting.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifeisforliving View Post
Skinny Cow chocolate covered cherry cones. I think I've had one every night of my sobriety so far. I'm nervous b/c they say "limited edition" on them. Not sure what I'll replace them with once they're gone. Right now ice cream is just so dang comforting.
Oooohhhhh I haven't had those yet!!

Something else I just thought of is that I don't even think it's necessarily rewarding ourselves as much as taking care of & being nice to ourselves. At least for me, I know that I was definitely not nice to myself when drinking nor did I take good care of myself. Now that I'm clean, I'm working on being nice to me again
Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dig

I'm two weeks sober, so I can't say I'm drawing on a body of knowledge and experience, BUT I have noticed two things in terms of rewards. The first is that my life in general across the board is happier and healthier and each day I find a new reward it seems. Tonight I found myself at 9PM playing with toy cars and launching them down a toy ramp with my 15 month old daughter while she giggled away. The second is that there is more money all of a sudden in the bank account!!! I upgraded my phone today without worrying how I wouldn't have money for booze. The other day we bought winter tires for the car and I didn't have to worry about the booze budget. So for me, the rewards kind of just happen. I don't go out of my way to say in my head that I should be rewarded. But this is just what works for me... it might not make any sense at all to some people! Do what you feel works!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I spent a TON of money on makeup and skin products the first two months. I totally rewarded myself and it was a good idea.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh and I ate gourmet ice cream like every night for the first 30 days. My desire for it waned, but it got me through! And hot hot hot baths. Sometimes twice a day. I still do that.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I rewarded myself with a new wardrobe. I neglected my clothing over the years since I didn't like to be bothered to leave the house on weekends. Pretty much everything needed to be upgraded. I trickled in new items with each personal milestone I reached. After awhile, people at work started to comment on how much better I looked both physically and in my presentation.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Oh and I ate gourmet ice cream like every night for the first 30 days. My desire for it waned, but it got me through!
Same here! I was just thinking about that today. I went out to my freezer and thought to myself "Wow! I sure do own a lot of ice cream!" haha. Now that my sweet tooth has waned as well, I'm stocked for quite some time!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

only a week in but feeling like taking an interest in my appearance instead of bare minimum, actually wore makeup and used lint roller (dog owner)
lots of shoes and clothes ordered online this weekend