Notices

Had a wonderful Holiday, then slipped.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a wonderful Holiday, then slipped.

So I made it through Thanksgiving. Had a great time with family and felt on top of the world. Then I woke up Friday morning and for some reason, couldn't stop thinking about drinking. I think I felt deprived or something, watching others drink the day before... who knows, but I ended up having a few drinks...regrettably and had a horrible headache this morning. Then was set on not drinking but failed around 10 pm tonight. Tomorrow is day one again I guess. I'm so sick of this back and forth... emotionally... worst part, no one knows I was drinking. I hate myself and this problem. Wonderful weekend ruined by me. Even if no one else knows it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try and have some water before bed - it will help. Hope you have a relatively withdrawal-free day tomorrow Xx
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you're not the only one, PinotNOmore. I slipped the day before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving and the day after. Not big slips, no hangovers, but I'm still disappointed in myself. I'm struggling through tonight, but determined to give my body a break. I agree with you that the back and forth is frustrating, and the secretive emotions and guilt are painful, but that doesn't mean you should hate yourself. I don't hate myself for my slip-up. It just means we have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and start over again. Tomorrow will be day one for both of us. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Sorry you slipped up, Pinot.

When you had those intense cravings on Friday, did you have anyone to call and talk to? Or even just post on SR?

Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of thing we can just will our way through on our own. Having a sober support system that you can reach out to in times of crisis is tremendously helpful and has saved so many of us from picking up that first drink.

Good luck on day one!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We all have those slip-ups, I know that I have. I no longer believe in one day at a time, it's more like one minute at a time!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A game of 'bejewled blitz' on fb, takes exactly one minute and is VERY therapeutic
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no support system as of now. Mainly because I havent fully accepted my problem, so no one really knows. Slips happen but I have no help and dont use Sober Recovery like I should...OMG I watched an amazing event unfold a few nights ago where a member was set on drinking but posted and made it through the night sober... made me cry. it was awesome.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Pinot.

At least you have a better idea of what to expect over the rest of the festive seasons.

I know it's a pain in the butt but...think about it. Make plans.

I can really recommend coming here Pinot.
This is a wonderful place - but you have to be here, you need to reach out, for it to work, you know?

D
Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee but I often feel like I'm wasting yalls time... I KNOW I want to be sober and I know I'll get there eventually but I hate wasting yall's time on someone like me...
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
People wouldn't be here and respond to your thread if they didn't want to help. When someone is in need and posts about it, it helps everyone involved, not just the person who is close to drinking.

You are wasting nobody's time.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

you're not wasting my time - LOl you know me - I'm here anyway

and you never know when your thread might help someone else either.

The really important thing tho is...thread by thread I think you're getting a little closer to working out what you need to do, and finding the courage to do it

don't give up Pinot

D
Old 11-30-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pinot - you're not wasting anyone's time We're all here for you Xx
Old 11-30-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Feel free to waste all my time that you want. It's 2:53 a.m. here and I have insomnia so bad I think I'll go get a cup of coffee and forget the rest of the night/morning. Without you guys, I'd be drunk by now, again!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Pinot
It's pretty common to get so psyched up about not drinking at an event, get through it ,feel relieved and then drink afterwards. you're not alone.
I agree it's so helpful to use SR. Today's day 1 ,it's a new month .Maybe join the December class and be with others going through the same thing each day and night. Post constantly if you need to and don't even be worried about posting.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You are not wasting anyones time. Like others have said we are here to help. I remember when I first started out how hard it was. You will make it Pinot!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Pinot.

Please,don't hate yourself - never works. And the AV just loves when we are hating ourselves and plunging in self-loathing. Then the beast has its field day...

Make a plat to stick to. Better two plans - A and B. Maybe, even C.

Leave AV no chances to fool you. If no other support available - then log in SR the very moment you feel this devious voice and cry for help and support.

You are not deprived of anything when not drinking - with every sober day you gain more and more.

Learn this lesson, forgive yourself, don't look back, and keep your chin up!

Best wishes to you)
Old 12-01-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Pinot ,
When i teach or share knowledge and experience with my apprentices at work , It helps keep my own knowledge and skills sharp in practising my craft .
I see sobriety as something we practice , like craftspeople . The questions and sharing and giving of experience to those less practised helps keep the skills of those with more practice and experience sharp . It works both ways

keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-01-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Pinot, I agree the going back and forth, the constant stream of day ones really got to me in the end. I got fed up of having to start again. It was so energy draining. Now at day 80 I feel I can use that energy more positively by helping me stay sober. I hope you can learn why you slipped and that this will be your last day one. Thanks for your post . Good luck
Old 12-01-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pinot - that is my M.O. I can survive even the most booze laced social events only to go home and drink (same day or next day). For me it is a lot of "see, I can survive a social event without drinking. Now to relax and destress from the social event.". You are not alone with this type of behavior.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and hoping you're able to find the strength you need to do what you need to do. Best wishes for a sober day today!