Notices

New to this- question about meetings

Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this- question about meetings

Hey all- I'm Kate. 26. I've needed to stop drinking for awhile now. I've known it, but kept finding excuses for myself and my behavior. I don't know how to have a 'social' drink. Every time I drink I lose control of myself, drink to the point of blacking out and am embarrassed by my actions the next day. I engage in risky behavior. And this is multiple times per week. I've decided that it's time for me to give this a shot. I want to go to an AA meeting, but I live in NYC and there are SO many to choose from that it's overwhelming. I found a list that includes some beginner meetings- I guess those would be a good place to start? Also, are there meetings specifically geared toward people in their 20s? How do I go about finding meetings like that? And what should I expect at the first meeting? Any advice/input would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kate, first off well done on your decision to be sober, it is no easy decision!!

From what I know of AA, it's all about trying out different groups and seeing what you like and are comfortable with!

SR though will be here for you as a means of support, when you need it
Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
There are definitely specific meetings for people in the 20s. Look for meetings with "young people" in the title.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There is a subset of AA called Young People in AA (YPAA) College campus' also have active programs. Call the AA district office and they can help
Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kate. Try googling AA Brooklyn NY (or whatever city you are looking for the meetings in) and it should pull up an official site for your area. From there you should be able to get a link to the meetings schedule. Just look for ones for beginners and/or young people.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are indeed fortunate to live in a large, metropolitan area where there are many meetings and provide a wide choice. There are, as you say, beginners' meetings, discussion meetings, speaker meetings, step meetings, big book meetings, womens' meetings, meetings for doctors, lawyers, gays, spanish speaking. The list goes on and on. Sometimes folks who are agnostics or even atheists have issues with some of the "Higher Power" aspects of AA and for them there are meetings for agnostics, atheists and persons who have different spiritual beliefs. Call the AA Central Office in New York City or Google it on your computer and you can get a list of meetings in your area. At many meetings you can get useful pamphlets and ways to seek various kinds of help.
My own personal experience was that after many years of seeking sobriety alone with the help of counseling I never really had long term success until I got the help of others in recovery. I needed the fellowship. I have been sober for 25 years and I owe my life and my very soul to those people. There are many paths to recovery. Choose yours and may the wind always be at your back and may you live in the sunshine.

W.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kate:
At your first meeting you should usually expect to find folks who seem happy and even joke a bit. Almost always it's very positive and welcoming. You need not say anything if you don't want to. Maybe just introduce yourself. You don't need to say you're an alcoholic if you don't want to if it's what's called an "open" meeting, where anyone can go. Just say what you want to to say, what makes you feel comfortable and listen to the rest of the folks. You can stick around afterwards and chat if you want to. Don't let the thing spook you. It's what it says, it's all "anonymous". See if you can google or contact the central office for a beginners meeting for young people. Go to several different meetings. Good luck.

W.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. I found a meeting that I'm going to check out after work on Tuesday. Will let you all know how it goes!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi, Kate.

Good for you for making the decision to get sober.

Besides young people's meetings in NYC, there are many beginners meetings as well. There are typically a mix of young and old people at beginners meetings in NYC, and they're available all through the day and night. You won't be told to do anything you don't want to do and, in my experience, people are very welcoming. The only thing to fear is losing your alcoholic behaviors.

Here's a list of young people's meeting in NYC, Brooklyn and Queens. Just pick a meeting, go, relax and enjoy the beginning of the next chapter in your life.

Meetings | NYCYPAA