Old 11-30-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Great idea. you could do flyers and leaflets and drop them at AA meeting venues
Definitely the plan ! I want to cure boredom for alcoholics
Old 11-30-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love the concept - and would attend for sure. It was so hard to let go of the fun 'bar' atmosphere when I quit. This would be a very welcome substitute.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would definitely go! I don't have any recovering alkie friends, but do have some pals that simply don't drink much and avoid the bar scene. Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I think it's a wonderful idea. I wish there were more places like that. So many times, people fear they will have to give up any fun things like shooting pool or going to the pub/bar to watch football or other sporting events or listen to a band or do karaoke. If there were more places like the one you are opening, I think that would help a lot. People CAN have fun without alcohol, they just need to be made aware that there are places to go where alcohol isn't part of the deal.
I feel the same way as Suki. I often wish there was a place to "hang out" aside from just the cafe. At the cafe, you can't cheer on a football team or tell boisterous tales with your buddies. I've missed out on being able to tell people all of my travel stories (they start with phrases "This one time, I was in El Salvador...") - I just feel like there's no where for me to put on a casual voice.

All of the places alcoholics CAN go have too much of a "library" feel. I'd like there to be a joint where you can listen to live music, chill, speak your mind and feast on some chips and salsa and wings....WITHOUT having the alcohol looming everywhere.

EDIT: I also like the 21-and-over idea. I have nothing against kids, but everywhere alcoholics go to socialize are kid-friendly. It would be nice to have an "adult" feel to the place. Just my .02!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is a great idea. Can you put age restrictions on this sober bar? Meaning no one under 21 can enter.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes, yes, yes!!!! What a wonderful way to meet other like-minded friends, too!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great idea! What a great way to make sober friends.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fantastic idea. I hope it works out well for you and there are enough sober people in your area. I'd love one to open near me but often feels like I'm the only sober person about!

I'd make Cali my next holiday destination if you do open it!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't go to bars but I would go to that one out of sheer curiosity. I'd suggest making lots of healthy nibblies available as an alternative to the usual. Good luck with it!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I hope it works out fantastically for you. Maybe after a while, you could sell franchises. A sober bar in every state, several in fact! What a great idea!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tangningsheng View Post
This is a great idea. Can you put age restrictions on this sober bar? Meaning no one under 21 can enter.
I was thinking 18 and over because at that age you are considered an adult and also there are young alcoholics under the age of 21 as well.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I hope it works out fantastically for you. Maybe after a while, you could sell franchises. A sober bar in every state, several in fact! What a great idea!
Thank you. I'd definitely like to franchise this eventually so that there's one closer to everyone !
Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yeah an age restriction would be cool, it's 18 here in Ireland and most of Europe, it would make it an actual adult atmosphere, though without the alcohol!!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
Fantastic idea. I hope it works out well for you and there are enough sober people in your area. I'd love one to open near me but often feels like I'm the only sober person about!

I'd make Cali my next holiday destination if you do open it!
Sounds great ! Ya, I'd like to centralize the location to where there are many aa meetings
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes, I would love that. Great idea, keep us updated.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sounds awesome! I'm in cali, southern cali.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Where in California? Anywhere near Orange County?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
Hey everyone ! Almost one yr sober !

I have a question for you all in recovery. I'm opening up a sober bar. Its similar to a regular bar with tvs, pool tables, darts, air hockey, music, karaoke, etc.. however there is zero alcohol served .. only coffee, sodas, energy drinks, water, etc. and is a safe environment for aa/na members and anyone in recovery. No drunks allowed. But I want to kno what you all think and if you would attend. Thank you all for your input !
I worry about this business. It reminds me of the time I opened a store targeted at working dogs (police, search and rescue,etc ). It was too niche. A lot like a bar for sober people. I made it nine months and a decade later still paying off debt. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
All of the places alcoholics CAN go have too much of a "library" feel. I'd like there to be a joint where you can listen to live music, chill, speak your mind and feast on some chips and salsa and wings....WITHOUT having the alcohol looming everywhere.

EDIT: I also like the 21-and-over idea. I have nothing against kids, but everywhere alcoholics go to socialize are kid-friendly. It would be nice to have an "adult" feel to the place. Just my .02!
Count me in!